bathroom fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phil the Paver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can i put the fan isorlater switch in the loft as opposed to a wall outside the bathroom, just figured it will be a lot easier as the fan wiring is in the loft and don't want to chase out the wall, it can't go above the door because it has landing windows above the doors upstairs.

2. Fit a fan isolator pullcord

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes it is perfectly ok to put the fan isolator switch in the loft Mr Paver.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Phil the Paver likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Thank you, that's saves me some work. :)

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Not being funny or owt Dob - but the pullcord hanging down outside the bathroom will look absolutely naff tbqh..:D

6. I did not mean outside the bathroom.maybe I should have explained inside.

7. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

My fan isolator is in the loft but, So is the fan. Don't forget to have a FCU with an appropriately sized fuse (3 AMP)

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hmm!, as always, depends on fan manufacturers requirements .....

9. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Can you not have it butt up against the ceiling next to the door frame, so then your isolator is in the bathroom where the fan is? Mine is butt up against the ceiling for mine in my bathroom.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry Deleted member 11267 - its the way I read your post m8..:D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lets face facts - the fan isolator switch is a switch that isolates the entire supply to the fan including (if fitted) the overrun trigger. Thus it does not matter where the switch is fitted (within reason) so the loft is ideal. You just go in the loft and switch it orffff and the fan is safe to work on. If its outside the bathroom etc then maybe a sprog or missus will turn it on whilst you are working on the fan - not nice. Hover the said will not climb in t'loft to energise the switch.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I agree, my post was merely pointing out that manufacturers differ on the requirements for a FCU.

13. wally

wally Screwfix Select

If the fan is in the loft a good position for the switch is near the fan, done it plenty of times. However if the fan is not mounted in the loft i.e. in the bathroom instead then the isolator must be fitted in or just outside the bathroom suitably marked.

14. Phil the Paver

The fan will be in the loft, this is the reason I asked the question because all wiring will be together and out the way.:)

Biochef likes this.
  15. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Should be ok then.

16. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Phil why would you need a fan in the loft for? To my minds I see no reason or purpose this would serve? Or did you mean the fan is venting into the loft as mine does? (they are due back to fix a vent to the roof so the bathroom fan is vent through the roof.

17. wally

wally Screwfix Select

He has an inline fan PJ

18. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

ahh make sense now, hey it's sunday morning that my excuses!

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Many thanks for your elucidation Mr Rulland..:rolleyes: