Bathroom issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GlosRob, Aug 28, 2014.

1. GlosRob

GlosRob Member

image.jpg I posted in the building forum with no luck so perhaps it's more appropriate here.

I want to have a bathroom in the all room to the right as you look at the pic. It is currently on the ground floor far left as you look at the pic.

My question is where would I run the soil pipe as it's problematic to me.

To the right of the room is a garage with a trussed roof.

Will I need to drop it through the roof of the current bathroom ?

Regards

Rob Harding

2. No single answer to this, Rob.

Two basic options - one is to run 4" soil pipe, and the other is to use a macerator.

Assuming you'd rather have 4", it then comes down to the best route. This is unlikely to be by getting it to the existing bathroom's soil pipe as it's on the other end of the house - that would be a torturous route.

So, you look to see where the main underground soil pipe runs from your house to the main sewer. You then explore possible routes taken from that proposed new bathroom - it could be that a new soil pipe would have to go through the garage roof (or possible enter from the bathroom just inside that roof?) before then presumably having to exit the garage on the other side of the house - is there a sewer pipe there?

I can't see any obvious way to take that soil pipe out towards the side that facing us in the photo.

So you may have to go 'macertor'...

But - plumbers/builders will be along soon. WON'T THEY?!

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Very hard to say just from your post,it does seem your options are very limited without a lot of work and as DA said a macerator maybe the easier option.
    Personally I think you would require a site visit for best advice and options.Sorry if that's not much help!:(

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    from the picture, my first thought, assuming the drains are to the rear of the house, run a new drain into the 'sun lounge' set in a rest bend to the right of the window near the right had corner.
    install a soil vent pipe to new bath room position on first floor.?
    it may seem a big job, but well worth the effort.
    regards
    peter

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

ps
    avoid fitting a macerator at any cost... you will regret it!... (in my opinion)
    regards
    peter

Dave does Gas likes this.
  6. GlosRob

GlosRob Member

Thanks guys the bathroom is on the ground floor in the room you can see to the left of the property. I guess it could drop through that roof ? This is an odd house. We are on a river bank and years ago this would have been the rear of the property as there was no vehicle access. There is now so it has sort of become the front although the council can't confirm.

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

If you are going to all the trouble of doing this bathroom then do it properly.
    Do not use a macerator as kiaora wisely says.
    Get digging and connect up a 4 inch soil, it will cost you more now for sure but I can guarantee that you'll not regret it in the future, unless of course you get the falls all wrong underground ;)

8. Basically, more info required, Rob.

Do you know where your sewer pipes run? No? Well find out.

Then start planning.

It doesn't look like a go-er to try and run a 4" soil pipe around the fabric of your house to get to the old loo - that's chust crazy, man.

You may have to do some digging as explained above. Def the best solution.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So where the heck is the existing soil pipe and where does it exit down and up to breathe?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Just find the drain route & tap into it with an inspection chamber, for the SVP just terminate in the roof void with a durgo, piece of pie, a ground worker is the best option to get you out the ground, it's there area of expertise unlike a builder & what appears to most as a massive job, will be a walk in the park to them

11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Macerator, not for your nice house, noisy, blocky, smelly, high maintenance, short cutting DIY magnets

12. GlosRob

GlosRob Member

To the bottom left of the picture is a bathroom but granted it looks more like an entrance porch. The only toilet is there it's outlet is vertical and it then runs down the garden to a septic tank.
    The problem is that to the right of room is a double garage and to the front is a conservatory so there is no clear route.

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Go straight out, into the ground & as direct as poss to the tank

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wondering where the dividing wall is in you top rooms, and wondering whether it would be possible to run the soil inside the new bathroom far enough along, through the wall inside the roof space of the existing bathroom, along the roof space, then back into and down the inside wall of the existing bathroom and straight into the existing outlet ? Some boxing in required.
    Might not be feasible, but no outside pipes showing!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Hmm, I see what Mr Ha is getting at - cunning.

Sounds as tho' your sewer is def on this side of the house, so you need to plan a route out this way ideally (although it ain't the end of t'world to run a new underground pipe all around the side of yer hoosie.)

Another option is to run the soil pipe through the wall out under the bottom-left of that rightmost window, assuming that's where the new loo is going? Then down along under the eaves of that extension roof, and down the corner of the connie and into the groon'.

But, more info still needed...

16. GlosRob

GlosRob Member

The septic tank is opposite the existing bathroom about 20 m 's away. The dividing wall is ah out. Half way between the windows so in theory it would be possible to run it from through both rooms and into the loft of the bathroom. Does it need to fall or could it run level ? It would only be about 2 m.

17. GlosRob

GlosRob Member

Should say "about halfway between the two windows.

18. Fall. But not by a large amount.

19. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Gradient?.... V's....Bathroom? Place ya bets!...