Bathroom mould

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Kelly_R9000, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Kelly_R9000

Kelly_R9000 New Member

Hi folks,

I'm currently living in a rented property and we are starting to get mould in the bathroom. There is no ventilation but we keep the window open as often as we can but it's no longer cutting the mustard and we're starting to get parches around the window and around the coving.
    My question being is there anything that we can buy to ventilate the room that doesn't require any extensive building work (the landlord is reluctant to do such renovations)

A follow up question I suppose I should ask is it required to have ventilation in bathrooms? And if not would I be liable for any mould damage when we leave?

Thanks a million
    K
    :)

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

If your landlord won't then for a bathroom fan. Doesn't take to much work and won't cost a lot either. I can't see as you'd be liable as it's his property. I'd recommend getting an electrician to complete the works and sign it off. If you attempt it and mess it up it's on your head and also it will need to be tested and sign off.

koolpc likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Insulation helps. Have a look above ceiling as the warm bathroom and cold ceiling causes condensation. Not much you can do about walls. You can buy a product called vc175 that you can add to any paint to prevent mould. Works incredibly well. I buy hard wearing emulsion. Matt... And add it.. I also add it to mould resistant matt paint for add protection when specified.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ventilation needs improving.

koolpc likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Folks get vents built in windows. Fans fitted. Will do nothing much to help condensation which leads to mould. Warm steam filled air hitting a cold surfaces like walls and ceilings causes condensation. The same as you get if you ware glasses and walk in a warm house on a cold winters day, and you get Instant fog on your lens. Insulation all around is the only way but difficult to do on walls. Some use that plastic Marbrex stuff. That works well. Brick/block built houses are the worst. Plasterboard insulated walls seem not to bad. Our bathroom has no window. Rarely turn fan on. We do get a little wet on tiles but soon dries up. No mould either. That's because our bathroom has no outside walls and a loft bedroom above. Fully insulated all the way around.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You mention mould in the post title, diluted household bleach will remove this.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not sure of the regulations on rented property in general, but new builds have to have a means of venting excess moisture either by a fan or open window. Even though it is a privately rented property your councils Housing department will give you advice. If you ask they will probably come out and give you advice. Since last year all landlords are required to be registered with the local authority so if it is particularly hazardous they will write to them and tell them to get it fixed.
    either
    Damp in a bathroom is a mixture of too little ventilation and not enough heat. Quite often in a bathroom there is a very small radiator which doesn't put out enough heat out to dry out the room and sometimes opening the window on damp days can be counterproductive. One solution is open the window after a bath /shower and on warmer, drier days. Keeping it closed on wet / cold days.

To keep the mold down as Astramax above says, diluted bleach works wonders and is a lot cheaper than some fancy chemicals

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is a rented property, there is no way they are going to fit insulation, fit window vents or knock holes in walls to have fans fitted

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just get anti mound spray from supermarket and use. That's all you can so then..

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No, just bleach (45p form Lidl) is good enough

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

White vinegar and water is safer to use on mould. Bleach will damage clothes ect if miss fired. I hate the stuff because of the bleaching and damage it can do. Guess everyone knows this.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I did use the word 'diluted' to minimise any mishaps! :p

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats why we didn't post it :rolleyes:

14. danman1078

danman1078 New Member

We had the same problem, just clean what you with a bleach spray you can then paint over it with anti mould paint. We did ours over a year ago with no signs of mould.

15. Hi Kelly.

You are doing everything you reasonably can to reduce this condensation - leaving the window open - and if that is not enough then it's the landlord's issue as there is not enough ventilation; an extractor fan needs to be fitted.

And ventilation is the key, much more so than anything else such as 'warmth' or insulation; it doesn't matter how cold or poorly insulated that room is - if you ventilate it, you won't get condensation.

Having said that, insulation is a GREAT help too...

I would inform the ll including photos of the mould and assuring him/her that you are doing everything you reasonably can to prevent this, including opening the window during showers (because that is the first thing he'll blame if it comes down to him claiming you've cause damp problems).

What to do next is up to you. Ideally he'll offer to fit an extractor. It'll be too much to think he'll improve the insulation... But, at the very least, you have informed the ll and told them that you ain't responsible for the mould.

What further things can you do yourself to help? No is fit a fan. This can be cheap or costly depending on where it has to go - through wall, ceiling or window - and what access to the outside is like, and ditto to wiring.

Also lots of anti-mould additives and paints - all well covered above.

And there are insulation layers you can add to the internal wall surfaces, but that's a different order or work and cost - reckon on £100s unless you can DIY it.

Ok, a few other things that you need to know; your landlord cannot stop you improving the thermal effic of the property - that is an entitlement that tenants have. (I'm sure of the details beyond this - if they need to contribute or what. I suspect not...)

Another is, what is the EPC rating of the property? From next year (I think) it HAS to be E or above, or else he either needs to improve it or else stop renting it out. (You should have been given the EPC rating - how long have you been there?)

Anyhoo, in short I would (a) inform him of the issue so's you are covered (you are doing everything reasonable, he has done nothing to assist, so it ain't your fault should he try and withhold deposit), (b) check out the EPC rating, and (c) consider the anti-mould paints, and possibly installing an extractor yourself and/or added insulation layer (this can be as 'simple' as Wallrock products - a 3/4mm thick layer, right up to a 25mm insulated p'board layer.

Bearing in mind the cost of the last option, I'd personally only consider this if you were planning to stay there long-term.

Oh, and join 'property 118' (or something - I'll check). It's really for landlords, but they seem to help out tenants just as much - they HATE poor landlords :)

https://www.property118.com/readers-questions-2/43811/ (I think they'll let tenants join...)