Bathroom paint bubbling when had bath or shower

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ben1974, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ben1974

ben1974 Member

Hi,
    I've had my bathroom painted by a decorator,it was dulux bathroom paint on the walls already,and he used a leyland washable paint on top of my old dulux paint.
    the decorators chalk stuff has cracked,and the paint has bubbled,I've attached a pic
    the bubbles nearly go when dried,but come straight back like this when someone has a shower,we open the window too to let out steam.
    it was a green leyland label vinyl white paint from memory
    he didn't wash the walls first
    when he put the second coat on 30 mins after the first coat,it reacted
    he came back next day,sanded it down and did it again
    waitied 30 mins between coats when it says 4 hrs,and its just as bad
    please can someone help me?
    how can i fix this please?
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Get a new decorator. Seriously.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. ben1974

ben1974 Member

any idea how i can fix this myself?

4. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

You answered the question yourself, allow time inbeween coats and more importantly a good wash down.

Get this clown back and ask for your money back if you have paid him.

I would give it a good sandown, and maybe think about using Zinseer Perma White.

5. ben1974

ben1974 Member

thanks,have you guys seen this before?
    i did get him back,he sanded down,repainted,reacted,he then sanded it right back,not just a light sand,repainted,was ok for a few days,yes i paid when finished.
    i couldn't get him back,just had too much hassle now.
    thanks for the Zinseer Perma White,what about Zinsser Gardz Sealer? that says it stops bubbling,then paint using deluxe or something bathroom paint?
    I'm just going to fix this myself if i can
    so a light sanding just to get bubbles off?
    thanks
    ben

6. ben1974

ben1974 Member

also these bubbles come and go,its weird,well they don't fully go,but this was after a shower,the bubbles are potable if you press them

7. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I'm sure the Perma White will be the answer to your proplems, however if paint does start to lift I would be inclined to use zinseer Peel Stop,

Very hard to fully determine unless one is hands on.

Good luck

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say " decorators chalk has cracked" I'm guessing you mean "caulk"

Probably not actually cracked but some caulks / paints can react badly and cause the paint to craze on the caulk. Looks like cracks but only the paint surface has crazed

Many caulks to choose from, some craze worse than others, some you can paint over in an hour (apparently) some need several hours to fully dry

Emulsion seems to craze worse than other paints, vinyl emulsion not so bad or solvent based paints not usually a problem

If problem persists, use either a zinster primer, 1,2,3 (I think) ? Or just give the caulk lines a coat of solvent based paint, allow to dry then emulsion over

Must be gutted though paying money to a "pro" then ending up with a rubbish job - just not on really