Bathroom Sealant

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gryphon, Jul 10, 2017.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

I'm going to be replacing the silicon sealant around the bath shortly, it's black with mould.

Any suggestions for a white sealant that will stay mould free for a while.

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Make sure you use 'sanitary silicone sealant' rather than general purpose stuff, and look for something on the tube saying it contains a fungicide. Should last more than a few years.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sealant around a empty bath will usually crack as soon as you fill it, so make sure you fill bath before doing the sealant & then leave it filled 24 hours until sealant as set.

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Was it shoddy bathroom fitters that sparked this myth? :eek::p
    Never understood the logic behind it myself.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

This is going to start an argument.

longboat likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT,FIGHT.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

longboat and KIAB like this.
  7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

QUOTE="gryphon, post: 1522661, member: 98068"]I'm going to be replacing the silicon sealant around the bath shortly, it's black with mould.

Any suggestions for a white sealant that will stay mould free for a while.[/QUOTE]
    I always use this:
    71Fnft+OP9L._SL1500_.jpg

Never had a problem with it, but any silicone that not cleaned every now and then will succumb to mold eventually.

Attached Files:

gryphon likes this.
  8. Everbuild also do a '10-year no mould' guaranteed one. Nice to use too.

9. Hello,

Keeping bathroom grout and silicone clean is a problem many people face. The problems are always caused by moisture and lack of ventilation.

On my DIY blog I wrote a handy guide for dealing with bathroom mould problems. I also recommend a grout sealant spray on there that could be used on your new anti bacterial silicone.

I hope this helps, and good luck!