Bathroom tiling advise needed

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Crumbs, May 17, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi, I am attempting to re tile our bathroom due to very old mosiac tiles grout failing and mould setting in, would appreciate some professionals guiding me on what materials i should be using :)

Old tiles are off, holes have had expanding foam in them and filled and paper remaining has been removed.

I plan to skim the damaged areas to bring it level as my tiling skills are limited. Tiles are 20cm x 25cm ceramic tiles (11kg per sqm). Very confused what to do after this before i tile.

I know not to PVA but do i need to prime or seal the wall (or are these the same thing?)
    Will priming or sealing the walls make them water tight?

Do i need to prime/seal everywhere i plan to tile or just the wet areas?

Many thanks :rolleyes:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

When you say holes filled with ex foam, what exactly do you mean?

3. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Small holes of the plaster had holes back to the honeycomb so i just filled these with expanding foam, cut it and filled.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What honeycomb?

5. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Egg box walls

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Egg box, horrible stuff.
    Could be worse tho, at least it not the compacted straw shambles.
    Crumbs, have you put the bath in yet?
    It may be easier and quicker to re board the affected walls first, rather than skimming.
    You can get a flatter surface by re-boarding and can tile over the next day.

CGN likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ah, the dreaded paramount board!

Yep, if it is, dab on new plasterboard and tile straight on to that, or better still, if it's the dividing wall between next door, take it off back to the block work. Did a bathroom last year that had it. Right mess, someone had nailed plasterboard to existing paramount board which of course literally fell off when I started prodding. Quicker to pull the lot off and start again. On the internal wall, where the shower was going, I studded it out a tad which took out some of the gap between walls and bath and created a void for hot and cold feed to mixer shower. Quick, neat and cost effective. :)

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Found a couple of photos with the bath out...

Attached Files:

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

What a mess!
    Bet that was ripe?

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Anyone know what the compacted straw walls were called?
    Relieved it never caught on, whatever it was!

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not the greatest :D thing was, although the bathroom certainly wasn't a palace, it didn't look too bad :eek: until I started fetching a few tiles off. Funny that the kitchen ceiling below had been repaired too! :rolleyes: Put new caber floor down to start with before getting back to basics and getting rid of the rot :)

13. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Not putting a new bath in bud, just fixing replacement tiles really so leaving all that were it is - I think the boards are just about good enough, taking them all down is likely a bit to difficult for me. And if it comes out and I struggle to get it back in - the lady will throw a hissy :eek:
    Is it okay to put PVA down in between skim layers CGN? Not on the final coat before tiling but with a skim layer on top? This is in a wet area.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you've got to skim with plaster, then pva before. Put a coat of diluted pva on, let dry, then another and while it's still tacky, start your plastering. You don't pva after that, unless the plastering hasn't come out well and you need to re-skim.