Battening Concrete Floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Silvacider, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Silvacider

Silvacider New Member

hi there,

First post here. I have read a few threads on similar topics to my question, but I can't find anything answering my specific question.

We are currently doing a refurb and have come to the point of thinking about flooring. We have a long since laid concrete floor. Screed top layer. We are looking at laying floorboards in lounge and dining room, about 23 Sqm in total. My plan had been to batten the floor with 25mm deep battens, 400mm centres, and fit celotex in the gaps (I have quite a bit left over from other jobs). My question is how to fix the battens to the floor. The obvious choice is to drill, plug and screw, but the trouble is, I know there is a gas pipe that goes under floor, but I'm not exactly sure of its path. I guess I could buy a pipe finder, but i never fully trust those things.

I have been researching Elastilon. Could the battens be secured using Elastilon, then the floorboards nailed to the battens? Is there a better option anyone can suggest? Also, has anyone fitted celotex under floorboards? Does it squeak at all?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chewjc97

Chewjc97 Member

How about forget the batons and use an insulated underlay instead. There are fancy multifoil types out there which are thin but can perform as well as 100mm celotex apparently.

I imagine bringing the floor level up with batons is going to cause finish floor level problems elsewhere, adjoining rooms, doors etc...

3. Silvacider

Silvacider New Member

Thanks for the response Chew.

We have not hung any doors yet, so no problem there, and having laid underfloor heating in kitchen, with levelling compound etc, it would actually help the dining room / kitchen threshold.

I just feel as though screwing floorboards down is a more permanent solution, I'm worried about them moving or bouncing etc otherwise. But maybe I need To look in to it?

4. Chewjc97

Chewjc97 Member

If you have no issues with floor level and you already have the materials then fine.

Screw and plug is an option. 50/60mm concrete screws even easier. Just make sure you know where that gas line is. Buy or hire a pipe finder and mark clearly on the floor where it is. Be safe

5. Silvacider

Silvacider New Member

Ok thanks. So do you think using Elastilon, or something similar, to secure battens is a waste of time? Can you recommend a decent pipe finder that is trustworthy?