BAXI BERMUDA CENTRAL HEATING

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KYOTE, Dec 2, 2014.

1. KYOTE

KYOTE Member

Hi,

First time here so please be gentle!! :)

I have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler and central heating system. Gravity hot water and pumped return central heating.

All has worked well for many years until in the last few months I have noticed that the central heating is not working very well!! :-( Hot water is fine :)

Boiler is switching on and off every few minutes and lots of hot water. Heating is very slow to heat up and only every other rad works....and then it changes to alternate rads or none at all!!

Pump is new and making all the right noises.

I removed and flushed all the rads and removed quite a bit of sludge....put back together but no real improvement :-(

Would it be feasible / possible and worth removing the heat exchanger and giving that a flush through!!

I know I can get a powerflush but at £300-600 it is a last resort.

Cheers
    CRAIG

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

don't do a powerflush, they're a bluff at best with no quarrantee, you've got a physical blockage and the first place to look is the 'dumb' valve, its a little one way valve that looks like a brass couplling, its reason is to stop circulation in the summer to the rads but can often jam, second place to look is the pump valves they might not fully open,
    if it was the heat exchanger the water would not work either so its not that,
    powerflush work is satans work, get thee behind me,

HOWD PLUM likes this.
  3. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Definitely a circulation problem. The pump could be running slow. I had one from new like that once. Ever thought of replacing it. They are really yesterdays technology and make noises in your living room.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Tom you cant powerflush a gravity system, Ill let you figure out why.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ever heard of blanks dave?:confused: or are you thinking primatic,, even a pumped system you need to blank the tank,,,but wait a minute I don't do conman work how would i know anyway, :eek:

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Fire them all the time :)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Amazing how many people still have a Baxi Bermuda boiler, I had one here when I got this house,it been in use for 25 years or so, so first job I did was to rip it out & fitted a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 combi boiler.

Scrap it is my advice.

Walt Systems likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have a Baxi bermuda in my first floor maisionette. I heard that they may have to replaced ..

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thats because the old boilers where british made and extremely good quality boilers but the gov't, not the boiler makers decided that they were too reliable and not what this nation needed as they were not helping the unemployment figures, so they made new laws to create jobs in the boiler manufature and spares 'n repairs, like maggie thath invented globel warming to close all the mines, the gov't of the day invented inviro friendly green condensating boilers that need massive amounts of service ,repairs and have took the boiler sparea industry from a corner shop in the 1980's to a hypermarket today, most made in china and as reliable as a drug addict,
    if you've got a back boiler keep it as long as you can, ;)

10. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Tom is prattling tripe as usual. He uses lead pipe you know. The old cast iron boilers are hopelessly inefficient. They are about 55%. Get a new condensing boiler like the Intergas, with few moving parts, and your bills will drop 35-40%. Getting open flued boilers out of the house is a great thing - they are dangerous. This cast-iron lump should be ditched ASAP.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Eeee Walt you know I am a straight shooter,where's the old sludge bucket Walt gone who loved the proper tripe, anyrode you don't have to take my word I can produce facts not percentergages,
    how big is the boiler spares market today,,,,,answer massive
    how big was it in the 1980's......perhaps 10 shops nationaly kerrr ching,

open flued boilers provide a constant flow of air from the outside lower to the outside higher, there's no better way of ventalating a property, houses built post war with chimneys will stay with us till world war 3, new builds with wrap round insuation and no ventialtion will fall down of their own accord inside my lifetime and that's a good thing, because they're are a breeding ground for vermin,lice,mould and everything that humans need to keep away from,:eek:

12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Mr Plum, there are far more boilers around than there were in 1980. There are also more cars and more car spare dealers as well.

My God Tom is on about using a dangerous boiler instead of an extraction fan. My God. If the flue blocks the occupants can die - stone dead. :(

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

who mentioned ex tractor fan? no I sir, but that's a very fair point about car spares, they too noticed a market for adding working parts with self time obsoetetion as standard, any old anglia or cortina could be fettled by your average diy person but now you need a fault diagnostic machine at £sssssssss,
    well spotted Walt,

14. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Mr Plum, old cars polluted like hell and were slowly killing us. Did you know that? tsk, tsk.

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ALL cars are pollutive now there's more of them faster and heavier, anyone in the wrong side of a rangerover doing 100mph is spared the slow death of pollution'so_O

16. KYOTE

KYOTE Member

O.K. thanks for the banta but I have a Baxi Bermuda......fact!!! Whatever the boiler how do I go about unblocking my blockage!!! Hot water is bloody hot!! I think I have a single pipe rad system but not sure!! Every pipe is under the floorboards and can't see what is exactly going on

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

No mate it won't be a single pipe system, well I'm 99% sure it won't, have a look for that dumb valve, usually close to the boiler in the boxing in against the chimney breast is a good place to start, ;)

18. KYOTE

KYOTE Member

I have had the NRV out and it did have some crud in it!! Cleaned it out, made sure it was working and put it back pipe work above it is also hot but it seems like low flow and/or blockage! Removed pump bung and did the screwdriver test and all that also seemed good

Gilbo4444 likes this.
  19. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

If it is a one-pipe system lower the pump's speed. If the speed is too fast the flow runs right past the rads and only circulates in the one pipe. If it is still on the lowest speed throttle down one of the pump isolating valves.

20. Kyote, on the CH setting your boiler fires up, gets real hot, and then shuts down and starts 'cycling'?

And you have access to the 'flow' pipe from the boiler, which also gets hot? And this pipe goes to the pump - how hot does that get, on either side? And then to the NRV? And then what?

Do you also have access to the CH return pipe to the boiler? How does that feel?

This new pump - is it fitted the right way around...?!