Baxi Bermuda + hot water cylinder Economical?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Miss Julie, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Walt - I agree with a lot you say, but my gawd you are becoming really thingy.

I disagree with your advice on swapping the Bermuda, tho', unless it happens that Miss Julie has money to burn. It will take her about 10 years to recoup the outlay.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

och, he's only having a bit o fun till they catch him up, If you dissapear without trace Walt, have a nice Christmas and new year,:)

3. Miss Julie

Miss Julie New Member

I have recently had a big gas bill, nearly £500 over a 3 month period.

I have decided to get a new combi boiler installed.

I am not sure which boiler to get as I have had a look at the reviews, and all makes seem to have had a bad review :(

I have had a quote from a local Intergas installer for an Intergas boiler 28/24 - 5 years guarantee with a registered Platinum installer.

I have also had a quote for a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28, from a local company who offer a 5 year guarantee for this boiler.

Anyone has any recommendation for a good reliable boiler, for a 1 bedroom maisonette with a bathroom, I currently have a electric shower, but would like the option of having a thermostatic shower fed direct from the boiler a few years down the line, so was recommended a 28Killowatt boiler.

Julie

4. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Go for the Intergas. The combi only has 4 moving parts. The next size up, the 36/30, will give better hot water flow rates when filling a bath. The Intergas combi comes with an integral weather compensator. Have the outside temperature sensor fitted. This will reduce gas usage and give excellent comfort conditions. Make sure you get rid of the electric shower (they are made by Satan himself).

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Miss Julie, would be well advised to keep the electric shower though Walt. In the event of a boiler breakdown she'll still be able to have a shower. (or is personal hygiene , not a high priority for you??)

6. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You must have Satanic ways. For the likelihood of a breakdown every 10 years, it is not worth keeping the electric shower. You have to run around them to get wet.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. Miss Julie and Walt back at the same time -I wonder where they've been...? :rolleyes:

Cough. Sorry.

Miss J, I cannot comment on the Intergas, although what I've read about them is pretty nifty, and I really like the 'few moving parts' bit. Vaillant is the more well-known of the 'good' brands, but - personally - I think I'd take a punt on the Intergas.

How do the prices compare?

In either event, I agree with Walt - go for the more powerful combi so it'll deliver LOTS of hot water when you need it - really worth having that extra oomph :) (and your boiler will automatically deliver less when that's all you want). Your installer will check that your incoming mains water flow is up to it in the first place.

When you finally switch to the thermostatic shower driven off the combi, you won't believe the difference - a really superb shower. What JJ says is true - if your boiler breaks down you won't have a hot shower, BUT this will only happen on rare occasions if at all, and it isn't worth keeping a pitiful electric shower just for that possibility.

Leccy showers are awful...

8. Miss Julie

Miss Julie New Member

;)

The local intergas boiler installer who arrived said that weather compensators were not worth putting in, as they are more for colder climates such as Sweden.

There are mixed reviews on the intergas boilers from the review centre, also I don't think the ch pipes can be hid behind the boiler. The other boiler I was considering getting is a Worcester Bosch boiler, ch pipe can be routed behind the boiler.

I want a boiler that can be serviced quickly, and not have any problems further down the line.

Thanks for your continued support.

Julie

9. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The Intergas is very reliable indeed. The installer does not know what he is talking about regarding weather compensation. It keeps the temperature low so it is condensing longer and deeper reducing gas consumption. It is also a feed-forward controller, which I am sure he does not know anything about. It comes with the boiler. All it needs is the outside sensor purchased and fitted. Simple. Not fit it is irresponsible. There is a jig that the boiler hooks onto. This has the pressure vessel inside. The pipes can also be run in the space it creates behind the boiler. Have it fitted in your loft, out of the way, then pipe runs do not matter.

Plumb Center, a national chain, now sell Intergas boilers. They also deal with the parts.

10. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Ohhhh!!! I just remembered why I left.:rolleyes:

11. joinerjohn1

I have a Mira Advance (Mk2) leccy shower and there's nowt wrong with it, DA, supplies plenty of hot water. Never broke down either. ;);)

12. joinerjohn1

Welcome back PB, Tomp'll be very happy now yer back. ;);)

13. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

;)

14. JJ, if you like running around on the spot whilst a Mira spits at you, then fine.

Personally, I'd rather a shower.

Miss Julie, it's a shame your Intergas installer sounds less than totally clued up. No, we don't have the extremes of weather that they have in Scandie, but at the moment it's well below freeze and us Brits will keep the heating on until the ootside temp is well into the mid-teens. So, a goodly 20+oC spread. Nuts not to have the weather compensator. (I don;t have one, but I manually adjust the CH temp instead... :( )

The guy's an a***.

Check out what Walt says about the pipe runs - can they be hidden?

Your call - play 'safe' with the known brand that everyone sticks in, or take the plunge... :)

I'd go Intergas next time, I'm pretty sure.