Baxi boilers

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, May 17, 2015.

1. Hi all.

What's the difference betwixt the Platinum 28kW and the Duo-tec 28kW

And what are they like (suggested boilers for my bro by an installer.)

Thanks.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The Duo tec is the newer version of the Platinum so if you going to choose between the two go for the Duo tec as its more advanced.Having said that there is a newer model The Eco blue being released as we speak.

I have had issues with Baxi in the past, fitted some of their boilers and had to get them out to get them going before I could even commission them and they were very hard to get a next day visit. Not a boiler I'd personally recommend but there are enough of them out there as they have cornered the contract market for schemes like the Green Deal and firms like B&Q. Even our hosts are pusshing their newest model.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valliant.[​IMG]

4. Thanks Dave and KIAB.

The Baxi is chust the one this particular installer recommended - I guess the one he's familiar with, or gets a better discount on.

Is the Vaillant equivalent a similar price?

Anyways, a bigger issue at the mo' is that my bro is 6 stories up, and I recall the cold mains flow was pitiful. I've asked him to clarify this with the installer - perhaps the supply is better these days, I dunno.

5. catchup1

catchup1 New Member

The baxi platinum comes with a 10 year guarantee, Duo-tec comes with 2year but extended to7 if fitted and or commissioned with a baxi works installer.

Both boilers are excellent value. Also your bro might benefit from a Grundfos whole house pump?

6. Thanks cathcup.

Tell me more about the whole house pump, please. Apparently the guy did tell my bro he could fit a pump in the shower room, and I've asked my bro what type of pump that could be - I didn't know you could pump mains water?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Devs I had a Baxi Duo-tec 24 HE A installed, I found the boiler to be goodly built, the only things I would mention is that the flue outlet is not centered, so if you are replacing an existing boiler you may have to buy a 45 degree elbow to overcome this, also the boiler is physically on the larger size. With a 7 year guarantee you can't go wrong. Screwfix have just released the ecoblue which I have also heard good reviews about.

You get a rigid filling loop and all the jig pipework to get you started for a hassle free installation.

8. Thanks, Jit.

It'll be going in a cupboard, with a few flue extensions required to get up through on to the roof!

Good to hear they don't seem to have particular 'issues' (like WB's exchangers... :rolleyes:)

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

10. Cool. A pressurised thermal store of some sort?

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That was the old system, with little hot water flow rate, it wasn't a very old installation with an elson tank. I had a shower pump fitted to increase the flow rate, but the person below in flat always kept on complaining about the noise. So decided to put in a combi boiler.

12. Cool.

I've asked my bro to get confirmation that a combi will work in his flat, 'cos I have my doubts (from the last time I visited.)

And the plumber mentioned a 'pump' but there is no sign of this in his quote for the job. Sigh...

13. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Might be relevant. We have two Remeha avanta plus boilers in different properties (one combi, one system) which were easy to fit and superb in use. Apart from a leaking filling loop valve both have never missed a beat - one in 4 years the other in 3 years. Remeha's parent company took over Baxi (and Main and Potterton) brands about 2 years ago but they still actually market the Remeha's which have been rebadged "Baxi avanta plus". These are only available from the Independants. I can't comment on the historical Baxi models but I would not hesistate to recommned the avanta plus.

diymostthings

14. Paul Thornhill

Paul Thornhill New Member

New Member. First post. I have a 25 year old wall mounted gas boiler. It is an Ideal Elan Rs made by the Stelrad group. It never gived me any trouble and is serviced each year by the British Gas engineer. We have a storage tank upstairs which doubles up as an airing cupboard. Each year the Engineer tuts and says 'get a condensing boiler' but we like the system and have never had a single problem with it. He said this time that spares are no longer available. Can somebody advise me ? Can I get a modern replacement without getting a condensing boiler?

15. Dave does Gas

Sorry Paul but no, I cant remember the exact year but for a long time now only HE boilers can be fitted. First of all get away from the term condesing boiler, the correct term is High Efficency boiler. The reason they got the tag condensing boiler is from the early models. Yes a HE boiler does produce condensate but this is down the the almost entire combustion of the gas being burnt, the by product being water, hence the handle condensing.
    I also think that you are getting the word condensing muddled up with combination boiler, which produces hot water on demand. You have a Heat Only boiler which can be replace like for like allowing you to keep your cylinder and the airing cupboard just the way it is unless your old Elan was set up as a gravity system.
    Take a look at the link below, type in your boiler it will give you the efficency rating of it, you can then compare that to a modern HE boiler which has a Sedbuk rating of between 90% to 95%.
    http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.html
    Imagine that the percentage was a pound stirling for every pound of gas you buy your only using about 75 pence worth whereas with a HE boiler you get to use over 90 pence worth.

16. Hi Paul.

That Elan is about as simple as it gets - I had one myself in a house many moons ago.

As long as it works, and as long as you can get spares (and many parts are still available) there is no need to replace it. When BG finally say "No more - we won't service/repair it again..." then find a different, local GasSafe guy to do it instead.

Only when it finally goes kaput should you need to worry about a new condensing boiler.

17. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

My own boiler is 30 years old and is never any trouble (the odd thermocouple maybe) and I myself keep thinking shall I update but then I decide that the slight saving in gas I'd be making wouldn't really pay for the extra money I'd be spending - the day will one day arrive no doubt (maybe in another 20 years :))
    Tappy,

18. Dave does Gas

Once again there NOT CALLED CONDENSING BOILERS, they are HIGH EFFIENCY BOILERS.

It it's because if this constant misconception that people get confused between a modern Heat Only boiler and a combination boiler

19. Paul Thornhill

Paul Thornhill New Member

Thanks . It sounds like I need a HE Heat only boiler but not combination. Can anyone recommend a good make? . Meanwhile I'll hang onto the old one . Cheers Lads.

20. Dave does Gas

Vaillant

Google their website youll find all the information you will need. look out for the EcoTec 418, should suit your needs

KIAB likes this.