Baxi Platinum 28W Boiler - thoughts

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Crumbs, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi all, got a nice quote in for this boiler vs a worcester 30i boiler installation that was around £700 more expensive and wondered if any of you had experiance with the baxi platinum 28w boiler. Are they reliable?

Very limited review sites on it and what we have found is not exactly positive so far, however people tend to post stuff when it goes wrong and not when it goes right. thanks a alot ;)

2. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I would prefer the Baxi over a Worcester, although there's a few I'd prefer over a Baxi!

I'm assuming the £700 more expensive one was with a different fitter, make sure you're comparing like for like as that is a big difference. The most important part of any combi install is putting it onto a thoroughly clean system.

If you're after one more quote try looking for an Intergas installer

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would prefer Valliant over both of them.:)

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

I agree!

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It's a very good boiler Crumbs.
    I would say it's the most popular boiler in Britain, which speaks for itself.
    The tradesman likes them too, their easy to fit and easy to repair (should it ever go wrong).
    Simple and reliable.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The Worcester has bigger waterways in the heat exchanger compared to the Baxi so can tollerate a dirtier system, Worcester also will offer a longer guarantee provided your installer is a Worcester approved installer and their back up is probably the best. If you asking for a choice between Worcester and Valiant then there is not a lot to chose between them. What you are asking is like having a choice between a Ford or a Mercedes, no contest in my opinion go for the Worcester, use their Nest and filter get the eight year guarantee.

7. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thanks guys, no i am not asking for a difference between the two though i read baxi was right up there with worcester. We had 3 worcester accredited installers come and quote us (recommended local companies listed highly on mybuilder)

They came in at £2860, £2880 and £3160, all for a replacement boiler in the same position for a worcester 30i combi with vertical flue with the magenetic filter and 8 years warranty, fairly shocked at the prices to be fair considering the boiler looks worth around £1000, flue, timer, materials nearing a few hundred. Seemed a hefty price for labour when its in its current location.

Had a baxi accedited installer come over and he recommended the baxi platinum 28W boiler, veritcal flue, TF1 filter, new wireless room stat/timer and 10 years warranty for £2136 inc vat:eek:

8. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Crowsfoot, thats good to hear bud. I've struggled to find any sound reviews of the boiler from people that have it installed.
    I was pretty sold on the boiler until i came by this website http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews207615.html tho alot of the reviews are old so i presume the platinum 28 HE on that site are refering to a earlier series of the boiler and the ones in 2016 are the same name but more reliable... least i hope thats the case! :confused:

9. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

We're going to get a quote with a Valliant installer, any boiler recommendations from them for a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom (shower/bath) house, (7 rads) :cool:

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The EcoTec 832 will more than cope with that for you, as for controls if you have a smart phone take a serious look at the V Smart controls, so much better than the standard timed controls and it includes weather compensation so far more energy saving than the afore mentioned. You will pay more for the Valiant but as a Vaillant aproved installer I have had only one cause to call them out in over ten years, so your buying a piece of quality built to last.

KIAB likes this.
  11. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

You're forgetting the Intergas Eco RF - 10 year warranty on the boiler and only 4 moving parts, (they've done away with things like the divertor, air pressure switch and secondary heat exchanger so much less to go wrong). 10mm heating waterways so no risk of blockage. Can be used on an open vented system so you don't need to pressurize the heating (great if you have pipes buried in a concrete floor), you can even run the hot water without the heating side being filled!

It's also Opentherm compatible (Worcester and Vaillant aren't).

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have had various Valliant boilers for the last 20 years or so, never had one break down in all that time.:)
    My present 824, just a new hot water exchanger, it's first new part in 9 years, not bad considering I'm in a hard water area.

Got to agree with Dave, the vSmart app is really good.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/installers/products/vsmart/index.en_gb.html

13. Crowsfoot

Some pretty damming reviews there on the UKs most popular boiler Crumbs.
    Maybe it's simply because there are more of them out there.

I am always pleased when I open the cupboard door to find a Baxi platinum fitted.

The Eco Blue is the new Baxi, not many about yet, but if you wanted the latest boiler this could be the one, as the platinum is quite old technology these days - but then again everything over 1 year old is now classed as old !

PS I have a Baxi Platinum 28 HE fitted in my own house with no problems so far!

14. Crowsfoot

You can get a great prize on the Baxi 28w platinum at the moment from our hosts http://www.screwfix.com/p/baxi-duo-tec-28-28kw-combi-boiler-erp/2228h

The Baxi reviews on the screwfix site are mostly very good and are by the installers with just one exception, which Baxi have responded too within 3 days (this is on an out of the way forum) of the review being published!

15. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

thanks all, we had a vailiant installer come out and price us up around £2140 inc first year service which we were happy with, he wasnt vat registered so really nearing worcester prices if he was - It only had 5 years warranty on it which was a killer for us, wanted really 7 years for piece of mind.

Crowsfoot - likely going to go with the duo-tec thanks for the link. We dont need 10 years as we will be moving out soon as seeing they are the same boiler then no benefit to the platinum, unless you know of any differences between the two apart from the warranty?

We had looked at the ecoblue advance which is about £90 more than the plat but couldnt really see any major benefits to the boiler over the duo-tec?