Bedding in new shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jan 27, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    Just looking for some advice as always - thanks :)

We started off with a leaky shower trap but now thinking of refurbing the shower and going for a new tray as well
    Current shower tray is raised on timber platform and quite high so now thinking of going for a new, slim tray.
    This will be going onto a standard domestic floor in a bathroom, joists and timber floorboards, plenty of access underneath for the trap (although not so good for any future leaks)

Looked at a few trays and the manufacturers info all says to screw 18mm ply onto floorboards, then a bed of weak mortar, then level the tray. This is recommended to comply with the warranty

This is then going to raise the tray by approx. 40 mm ? (ply and screed) so how do you then cover this step. Am looking at keeping existing flooring which is a type of cushion flooring and only 2/3 mm thick

I guess various upvc trims could be used but seems a shame to add more height when I really want a low tray

If the floorboards are in good condition under the tray, and well screwed down, is the ply and screed really necessary ?
    Obviously its my call if I void the warranty but as long as there is no flex in the floor, I was wondering if you can bed the tray down on a layer of silicone - like a continuous bed as opposed to just blobs

Doing this myself in my own house as a diy'er. Is this a total bodge and not to be recommended

Just wondered how its done in the pro world :D

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry guys, really don't want to appear pushy but any advice offered on this will be greatly appreciated

Was hoping to get materials at the weekend and make a start

Have looked on line and as usual, there's many differant ways of doing the same job, but how do you know what is correct advice

I've read everything from tile ady, bonding plaster, sand cement, spray foam, sili and otherwise

What's the best way please guys and is the ply essential on top of boards

Thanks again, I do realise that all advice is given free and in your own time so it's always appreciated :)

3. meady

meady Member

I bed shower trays down on cement and they only end up an extra 5-6mm off the floor.

Your looking at 25mm overall, by the time it's all in you'll never notice it.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Personally I always use the trays with legs, as I like to have full access to the trap for future maintenance, rather than having to cut out the ceiling below it. Sorry cant really offer any advice on bedding it down apart from in my opinion its ok on a concrete floor, but cant say Id want to risk it on floorboards and ply.

5. meady

meady Member

They do it all the time on new build houses now, they work well and do look really nice. It's when something happens the problems start.

6. I have put stone trays on both silicone and tile adhesive none flexible kind both on ply 18mm cut the floor boards out then one sheet of ply cut to sizeof tray the customers never had problems with either

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Just follow the MI's. Have to say that I've never seen bedding a tray on tile cement or silicon recommended but guess it would work ok. Like Dave, I always use the 'riser kit' as they are known, cost about £50 but by the time you flaff about cutting out plywood and making up a bedding mix and trying to get it level etc - best £50 you'll spend. Also you've then got decent access underneath and you can get the tray absolutely spot on level.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for the replies, I know like so many jobs its not as simple as "this is the best way" but often comes down to personal preference and experience, whilst taking the MI into account

All the trays that I've looked at have insisted they're bedded onto 5-1 mortar mix, semi dry. Understand its to fully support tray but mortar wont bond to timber so whilst it levels and supports the tray, it wont stop any movement I guesse

Also didn't realise you could use a mortar bed at just 6mm, thought that thin would just crack after time, especially such a weak mix

Some info says 18mm ply on top of floorboards, other say, as above, replace shower area floorboards with single piece of ply

When I said that I had read about using foam, plaster, sili, etc as the bed this wasn't from MI, just stuff on the internet
    And there lies the danger and hence my question

The info you read is always conflicting and you don't always know the source and accuracy of info given

I use this forum a lot as it seems more "real" than some other sites

Realise the advantage of having a raised tray for any future maintenance but I'm prepared to take the risk of going low profile and having the waste in the floor void
    When you think about it, we've all got pipes under the floor, buried in walls, etc which are generally inaccessible.
    On the (hopefully) rare occasion when we get a leak, we just have to deal with it, get it sorted and move on
    If that happens with the shower, then access will be via the plasterboard ceiling below - not the end of the world really

Thanks guys, just have to decide on what method to go with now

9. Dave does Gas

Thats true but bear in mind it the shower trap which one of the quickest things to block thanks to an accumilation of hair and soap.

10. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Wasn't there a recent(ish) thread about traps that were easy to maintain in case of blockages etc ??

11. Dave does Gas

Try living in a house with three women with long hair :)

12. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Easy,

Shave their heads, while they sleep :D:D:D:D

Then again better not if you don't feel brave enough or a fast runner :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though, I know what it's like as it is a constant battle, to keep the plug hole clear, lucky enough my OH makes sure she & the kids clear what they can see before they get out the shower, which saves a lot of time & effort ;)