Before and After CUs-work in progress

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Mar 19, 2015.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Been working on a job where I was faced with changing and moving a CU. The CU was a mess! It was an old Hager split load and at some time a garage door was installed and the guide rail was installed right across it making it a PITA to get to and work on. The best part was the cover was held in place by jamming two short lengths of PVC conduit between the cover and the back of the rail! Roys photos 001.JPG

Attached Files:

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Can't seem to upload the after?

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Re-sized the photo and its uploaded now.

The new board is about face height and looks a lot neater. Not quite finished yet but proud of this one. :)

Attached Files:

KIAB, FatHands and BLUEJACKET like this.
  4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Very Nice cable work Un, mine looks a little like the first picture and hoping it will look something like your finished job, got a BG unit being changed to a Hager unit.

B J

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks B J :).

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

That's those boards with loads of space for RCBOs you posted about a while ago?

It makes for a neat job with RCBOs. Is it Denmans/ Steeple brand ? They seem to cover the whole of the UK apart from where I am...

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Lovely work UP, nice one! Was the board going in the direction of the cables, or did you need to extend?

Stateit - Denmans aren't in my area, although i believe this it their mail-order website mate:
    http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/

8. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Very tidy a fine example of what a bit of time and effort can do. :)

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes that's the Denmans Curve CUR-M14 14-way. The one in my logo is the 10-way version.

@fats. I was able to bring most of the circuits in at the sides because they were longer. The ones I had to extend I put inside a piece of 100 x 75 trunking left over from another job.

FatHands likes this.
  10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Nice little job there mate. What's the gen with the 4 lights cables into that single 6a rcbo? Looks like one is covered in insulation tape?

11. FatHands

What did you do then mate, use Wago's on a din rail, or crimp/solder (just curious!) ?
    Cheers

12. flateric

This is one of my better installs.

BEFORE. upload_2015-3-20_20-56-13.jpeg

I added a lighting circuit.

AFTER. [​IMG]

I really wish the pubs would not open at dinner time :D

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No nothing fancy. Just crimps and insulation tape.

FatHands likes this.
  14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Lol, just plain ran out of ways mate. It was the best way to get around it. Four circuits in the one RCBO.

FatHands likes this.
  15. FatHands

Got ya. Thanks for posting back mate, appreciated. :)

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Insulation tape - dirty!

Insulation is an installation aid, nothing more! I hate seeing taped up joints and crimps!

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is inevitable I suppose that every photo and every comment gets criticised irrespective of whether its good bad or indifferent. Insulation tape is good enough mate. What else would you use? Wagos are unnecessary its accessible, connector blocks are untidy and heat shrink sleeving is too damned faffy and awkward to do. Ok! Taped up crimps are absolutely fine. Its better than leaving them untaped.

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Untapped all the time for me. Tape is a bodge. Why would you try to insulate an already insulated crimp?

Insulation tape has many uses. Oddly, insulating is not really one of them. It's used to tape cables to cables or cables to pull throughs and things like that. Not for leaving in situ for years to go sticky and cacky.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must say Lec I never use insulating tape to tape cables together - I use ties which are not pulled to tight mind.

20. flateric

I have to admit lec thinking about it .......... you're right about the tape uses.