Belfast Sink Cut Out

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by NeilP, Nov 10, 2014.

1. NeilP

NeilP New Member

Hi guys,

I'm just a DIY'er not a professional but need help with a Belfast sink cut out on a new oak worktop.

Can you hire a jig specifically for this job? Is it something a novice could do or am I best to get a tradesman in - would a tradesman do just a one of cut like this?

Thanks,

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The cost of tools alone would be prohibitive. If you're lucky you may get a tradesman, it's a bit of a "Fit it in on the way home" job.
    Are you going to need a drainer cutting as well?
    Oak worktop and Belfast sink, oh so many problems.

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

You can do it using just a router and straight edge clamped to the top.
    Jig saw away 5mm inside final cut. Router carefully into corners. Final run down as required. Oil, oil, oil...
    That's the basic version. Upgrade with drainer flutes and drip groove.

4. NeilP

NeilP New Member

Thanks for the replies both!

My concern was the cost of the tools & I'm reluctant to buy them knowing I'm only going to need them once. I'm going to give a couple of local hire shops a call today.

I would like the drainage grooves and I had been told about the drip groove but figured that was a step beyond what I could attempt.

Ohh and the whole water and wood concern I thought the best way to tackle that was to buy a dishwasher! The sink is going to be for show purposes only. People are banned from getting it wet

5. metrokitchens

Oil it well and the wood will last - they build boats from the stuff :D

6. metrokitchens

If you mark it all up and have the top ready to be worked on I reckon you could get a fitter to do it for £75 and a cup of tea. They should even drill the tap holes for you.