Bell Problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rlshogun, Apr 13, 2015.

1. rlshogun

rlshogun New Member

Hi guys, I run a small kennels and cattery. I have a problem with the 'door bell' . I have a bell push on the outside gate. I need it to ring in about 6 different places. Too far to be wireless. I have cables running between each of the locations. Can anyone suggest a simple solution.
    Robin

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

24v power supply, 24v buzzers/sounders, MK momentary masterseal or 22mm push button.

Simple, perhaps not cheap.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Or Friedland make wireless kits with ranges of 50m, 100m or up to 200m.

You'd have the hassle of changing batteries though.

You'd definitely hear the 24v sounders as per Lectrician's advice above. You may not need 6.

4. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

WWII air raid siren. ;)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If each bell has it's own power supply/batteries, I don't see what the problem is.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I recently wanted 2 door bells to ring together from a single push. The second bell in my garage office about 20m from the first bell which itself is about 15m from the push. I bought 2 standard battery powered door bells. Wired in parallel they wouldn't work - volt drop on the wire was too much. Wired in series they work just fine. I originally thought doubling the battery voltage in the circuit would cause a problem, but it didn't. With 6 locations maybe you need a combination of series and parallel, but pretty sure you could make it work.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Doorbells wired in series ? I don't get it. My brain hurts.

Can someone help me understand ?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

More than likely, properly, BATTERIES in series. So voltage supplying second cable in series, rather than just link. first set of batteries in series may not last as long.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Wire goes from push to first bell then from other terminal of that bell to terminal of second bell then from other terminal of second bell back to push. Works perfectly and has done for ages. Connecting the push in parallel across both terminals of both bells didn't work. Current was doubled through push and too much volt drop to make bells work properly. They worked but very weakly. You do need to make sure polarity is correct!

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Thanks for the clarification. I was imagining someone with arms spanning 35m pressing both pushes at the same time.

Makes sense now :)

11. BradleyJn

BradleyJn New Member

Hi, psecify the longest distance between locations.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Is that the bell end then?