Belle Minigen 2000 not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Knowsome, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi
    I have a generator the Belle Minigen 2000 bought from Screwfix a few years ago. It has been hardly used. It started ok but doesn't output power. The instructions mention a cutout. I can't find the cutout. Does anyone know where it is? We still have no power here as a transformer has burnt out. It would be great if I could get the Belle working again. I tried Belle UK on Google and that web site has a page full of links to manuals but all the Belles links lead to 404s.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

does it mention what type of cut out ? - I recall them only having a low oil device that stops it running, if it's running but not producing, and hasn't been used for a while I'd suspect the capacitor - big cylindrical shaped component

3. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks Sean_ork, The cut out is mentioned as part of starting the generator and also stopping it. I don't have the exact instructions to hand as I am at my daughter's house at present. All I can find is the choke, fuel tap, engine on/off. There is a switch that is marked I and II and two buttons above them. I have tried pushing those and they don't affect the running of the engine. There seems to be oil, there are two filling locations. Maybe there is a reset button as well. There are three recessed push buttons beside the outlet sockets.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

how do you know it's not producing power ? have you tested it with a multimeter? the recessed buttons could well be the reset buttons try them, does it do 110v and 240v ? is the toggle switch set to the one you want? It won't do both at once,

5. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi tom.plum, I have metered it- reads 10v max. Also plugged in a couple of tools before using a meter. The option for using 110v or 240v is via the power outlets, so no issue there. I have not tried to meter the 110v socket. I don't know what the toggle switch is for, as I have mislaid the instruction manual :(

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the toggle switch is to switch the output to either 240v OR 110v. you put the lead in the 240v socket (the blue one) switch the toggle towards the blue socket and that gives 240v, if your in the 110v (yellow) and switch the toggle towards that socket you get 110vs, it won't give 240 and 110 at the same time, t

7. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks. I have been googling and found some pictures the same model can have a different arrangement of the switches. My toggle switch is on the side separate to the 110v 240v sockets. Whatever setting I use I still get no power. I think I'll need to check the capacitor. I could also post a link to photos.

8. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Just an update: I have been to Belle group website and they have a page for manuals but don't include generators!

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd take it to a tool hire shop, they have mechanics/technicians who'd fettle it without guessing, and that's all we can do without seeing it and doing tests,

10. Gleny

Gleny New Member

Hi Knowsome it is the capacitor behind the black grille type cover as mine did the same thing recently.
    I replaced it with a 10 mf 400/500 volt one from maplins for £5 yesterday and it is running fine now.
    Take the old one with you and they will supply you with a new capacitor.

11. Davestoneyallan

Davestoneyallan New Member

Hi, same problem here. Capacitor is a rectangular black box on mine, looks like it is marked 13 ųf AC250v. Can anyone point me to a replacement part please? Thanks

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

EBAY! Just select one that has the same capacitance and working voltage, these capacitors are not just for generators but motors also.

13. Davestoneyallan

Thanks bob closest I can see is 13.5uf ac 350v, mine is 13uf 250v. Black rectangular box type. So no match, is there leeway on the voltage?

14. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yes, higher voltage and slightly higher capacitance is fine.

15. Bob Rathbone

As Teki said, that will be OK. They normall have a 20% tolerance on them.

16. Davestoneyallan

Best price I can find is £30 delivered. Which is what I paid for the genny!

17. Bob Rathbone

If you have any appliance or tool such as a garden shredder with an induction motor in it, the capacitor in that may be close enough, otherwise, if you have some old fluorescent lights, the capacitor in them can be used, you will probably need 2 in parallel to make up to 13, probably each will be 8Uf giving 16 Uf, but that is close enough.

18. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

19. Davestoneyallan

Black box, two wires. Thanks, I actually can't find anything wired! And Belle cant help until after Covid

Attached Files:

20. Bob Rathbone

Try this from E Bay
    eBay item number:
    Select 14uf it costs £6.56 delivered.