Bending SWA

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by FatHands, Feb 12, 2016.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I have to run some SWA out through a gable wall and 90 degree right. What i would usually do is drill as much of an angle as i could to alleviate any bend (depending on the size of the swa of course) so it runs flat along the wall and straight in or drill at an upwards angle from outside and a "U" on the cable but in this case the gas is nearby and limiting options. At first i thought i will go up a bit but the staircase is in the way. Debating whether to come straight out and put it in an IP65 box (i know its another area the weather attack) so i can go the intended route.
    Any other ideas? Thanks

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

What size SWA Fats? Is it near to the ground where a loop sticking out would be a trip hazard?
    If you took out a brick from the outer leaf and got the bend within the wall would this comply with Regs?
    You could then mortar up the hole after first ensuring the mortar did not go into the cavity.
    Or maybe the gas pipe would preclude this.
    (Amateur Opinion)

FatHands likes this.
  3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Fats, having thought about your info and taken all regulations and bending radii into account and allowing for ingress of moisture...i have concluded that, on balance, you are stuffed......:p
    RS

FatHands likes this.
  4. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I'd use the ip box.

FatHands likes this.
  5. FatHands

Paul - thanks, its about 450 from the ground level so not a tripping hazard. We dont take bricks out to do stuff like this mate, but i like the re-pointing with mortar for a good job, nice one!

RS - about the standard of answer i would expect from someone in the sun on cocktails all day ;):)

Mad - yeah, think that might the best option. Cheers

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

its a hard 1 to do that pitty you cant bond swa to conduit boxes. Otherwise you could termainate the armour at a conduit box (with the hole in the back www.cabstrut.co.za/images/trunking/trunking_32.jpg) and just run the inner cable and its cores inside. Then link to a feed cable (twin + earth of the approprite gauge) to where it needs to go.

7. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

What do you mean can't bond SWA to conduit boxes?

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Does it have to swa? Can you use singles in a bit of placky conduit?

9. FatHands

Hi Col.
    To be honest pal i was thinking singles with plastic when he mentioned having a socket and light in the outside toilet half way down the run and then i saw the fella dragging all the wheely bins out through the side bashing the old stuff as he walked down the path and said ah don't worry about the toilet we very rarely use it so thought SWA would be a bit more up to the job and less faffing about (hopefully!)

10. The might I

The might I New Member

Could you make it off into the back of a galv conduit end box?

11. The might I

The might I New Member

you can

12. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

never had much luck with it to be honest often ended up doing a single metal back box slathered in hammerite (inside and out) lid the same small hole for the earth ring (for the armour) then silicone beween the lid and the box with a bit in the top of the screw holes.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What size SWA is this?

14. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Fats, i am happy that i can still see the screen and type...lol
    RS

FatHands likes this.
  15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I would have thought singles in steel conduit would have been a more logical comparison.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd do that.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I find that snaking it downwards, and then slow curve upwards, and flush off to wall and up to box works a treat - however this technique is not always possible..I would max out at 2.5 using said technique.

18. FatHands

Thanks to everyone for posting

6mm Jit

I will need to measure acurately on this one, but rough measurements.. brick depth 100mm (x 2), 100mm ish cavity so thats 300mm across a 45 degree angle. So could put a marker on the exit point and then 300-400 ish along to get an idea where is would come out the other side.

its late (for me) and i've had a beer, but i am not sure i am with you on this one JP? I usually drill upwards from outside but you are saying you drill upwards on the outside, and downwards from the inside and then feed through?

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fats I have got to do some swa to my shed, I will bang a few pics in m8 - not going to start the job in these sub zero temps though. I'm not very good at explaining things, but what I mean is say 1.5 mtrs from the wall you start digging downwards and sort of open up near the wall and you then swirl the swa into an upright (no tight crush bends etc)
    1.5/2.5 ok - 4mm + is really a no go. Bang a bit of sharp down there and whip in the hazard tape before concreting over..all ok reg wise if slabs on top (swa say 3ins below ground level)

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

After another thought, maybe no need to take a long angle in straight line through both leafs(leaves).

Make the angle in the inner brick by making two holes. One at the angle, and one straight where the angled hole will come out(you could drill the straight one straight through to the outside). Join the two inner holes by drilling or chipping out the brick between them.
    Then drill and chip the angle on the outside(whichever way you need to go).

Your cable can then come down, in at the angle, straight through to outside and off in the other angle, as you have removed all the brick in the angle required.

:eek: ....if you follow!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really