Bendy jigsaw blades!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Sep 9, 2017.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Ok, so who else has completely screwed a worktop by trying to cut it with completely **** jigsaw blades?!

Currently fitting a kitchen for my almost-mother-in-law, mostly using my own tools, but I found a new set of cheap jigsaw blades in her shed that belonged to her late husband, so it seemed reasonable to use them but I wasn't expecting them to last long...

I also wasn't expecting them to be bendy as ****!

Bloody hole I cut for the sink was nearly 10mm larger on one side of the worktop than the other and no-where near straight!

Anyone else had this problem?!

And can anyone recommend a very tough, "straight" jigsaw blade?!

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What jigsaw do you have?

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

Stanley Fatmax

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

School boy error.

ALL jigsaw blades deflect

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And Sabre blades.

Some makes more than others.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Our normal choice of jigsaw blade for worktops is the Bosch 101D, been using them for for years with no problem. I find blades only tend to bend if you use too much force, just let the blade find it's own rate of cut and don't force it.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As above. Its hard to get a really good straight line so you need a decent and powerful jigsaw to start with. The Bosch blades are decent, but there are others of course designed for cutting laminate and worktops.

I usually drill a 10mm hole in each corner, then with the top well supported, cut from one hole to the next letting the saw do the work.
    Its easy to inadvertently apply sideways pressure as you're guiding the jigsaw, that causes the blade to deflect and bend.
    Have a few clamps handy to support the offcut to prevent it ripping out as you get most of the cuts done.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last sink cut out I did, used plunge saw & handsaw to finish off.

CGN likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep nice if you have a plunge saw :)

If you're careful and dont have a plunge saw, you can start the cut with the jigsaw and then get a handsaw in which will give you a straighter cut.

My old jigsaw was pretty useless at doing cutouts in worktop when I first started and upgrading to a good Bosch made the world of difference.
    More powerful, smoother cutting action...night and day difference.

KIAB likes this.
  11. BiancoTheGiraffe

Yeah, I just didn't realise how badly as I never cut anything thicker than about 18mm!

Everything else has been done with the router so all the cuts are ultra clean and precise, I just couldn't be bothered to spend so long doing the cuts which will never be seen

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Such a handy tool,seldom use my circular saw now, & with a adaptor plate, you can also use your router with the guide rail.:)
    Made some storage units last year, routed all the rebates in a sheet of ply, then cut sheet to size,so quick.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its still on the list, but this year, have been doing a lot of landscaping work so haven't got around to buying one. Loads of internal refurb work coming up so I might have to prise open the wallet! :D

14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Was thinking, last time I cut out the worktop I had same problems. I corrected the cut with a router, but only after covering the worktop surface with a thin piece of ply, as earlier I left a skid mark on buy the router base.

Has anyone completely cut out sink n hob hole with a router only? Without splitting the top surface?

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

For normal Laminate worktops i always cut sinks and hobs out with a jigsaw, as i said earlier, i don't have any problem with the blade bending unless it's blunt of course.
    If the worktop is solid Acylic or Encore (chipboard core with 6mm acrylic surface), i always use the router. All the underslung acrylic sinks we use have a template available for each type of sink, so routing it out is straightforward. Hobs in acrylic tops, i always use the trusty Festool plunge saw.
    I see absolutely no point in routing a sink or hob hole out in laminate worktops though, it would take ages and makes no difference as to how well a hob or sink would fit.

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, still use a jigsaw... Carefully.
    There is a certain amount of tolerance for a sink or hob cutout...but not much. Go steady with the right kit and all is well :)