Best 150mm Random Orbital Sander around £100?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Dec 25, 2016.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Hello Sirs , I'm after a good & quality 150mm ROS that has low noise levels/low weight and has good dust extraction.
    I used to have Metabo sxe450 myself but I sold it recently as I was finding it really hard to use as it was really really heavy, the dust extraction port on it was really weirdly shaped so I couldn't use it with my vacuum and it was really noisy and basically very rough and untamed+ backing pad on mine wasn't the best so I just got rid of it.
    I also have used Mirka Deros for few months in past and it has been the best sander I have seen,just superb, however I find it really really really overpriced at near £400 and I'm just not doing enough work at the moment to warrant such an expense, but as you see I'm giving a hard time to the metabo sxe450 as I had access to much superior tool at the same time and it was a good tool overall, but just nowhere near as good as mirka ;)

I recently found Metabo has released a new 150mm ROS ,which can be bought for around £83.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metabo-SXE...id=1482692020&sr=8-1&keywords=Metabo+SXE+3150

Which seems much lighter, less noisier as it says online, and seems like with better dust extraction port as well than the old sxe450?

So I'm wondering what's the best stuff you could buy that has 150mm pad and is around £100 or less?
    I'm not looking to spend more as in that case I could add a bit more and buy mirka.
    Thanks, and have a merry Xmas everyone!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Metabo SXE450 is a great sander, couldn't fault mine, like the dual orbit feature.
    Never had a problem using it with a dust extactor, you could get the Metabo 630798000 adaptor,(cost around £9) not sure if the outlet shape was different shape on earlier models.

Never tried Metabo SXE 3150, so can't comment on it.
    The only other 150mm sander I've used was the Bosch GEX 150AC, another great ROS, but the price,ouch!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  3. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Yeah the dual orbit was nice, I think I just got used to the mirka and afterwards it just felt nowhere nearly as good + really heavy/cumbersome/ couldn't sand it in narrow-small places and my backingpad was nearly done and non-existant dust collection with just a dust bag so just ended up selling it. -yeah I think that's the problem I just got used to the mirka and zero dust.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never use the supplied dust bag with any of my sanders, alway with dust extractor, currently using a Makita VC2012L Class L dust extractor. :)

Joe95 likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, gone are the days of trying to hook it up to a domestic hoover. The performance improvements with proper extraction is incredible, many people muddle without even the standard bag and let it fly everywhere.

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've got this one in 110:
    http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-bo5041-orbit-sander-5-with-esc-front-grip

A little over your budget, but it is certainly a workhorse and worth the money. The adjustable speed makes a massive difference, so bear that in mind when choosing one.
    I've used a Bosch one, and was very impressed.

Agree with Kiab on extraction, I always attached henry:oops: to the sander, the 'low' speed is pretty effective and saves the disks. Got the CTL Midi now though:D
    Although the Rotex 150 is what I'll be upgrading too soon.

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Haha, for me the hoover days have only been gone since Tuesday:oops::D

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly peeps stil use a Henry for dust collecting, was at a place other day, snobby peep was sanding paintwork & using Henry, I was surprised how much fine dust it was throwing out, which you could only see, if you got the light at the right angle to see it.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

These 'peeps' only recently included me! :p:p

Got to say though, I was using the ROS the evening i got the Midi, with some scrap timber, and was amazed. The adjustable suction makes an incredible difference to how 'sticky' the sander is. I'll never, ever use Henry again...
    Even the automatic switching on and off is new to me...:oops:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Love the automatic switching on my Makita.

Joe95 likes this.
  12. wau5

wau5 Active Member

oh wow, I'm still using henry for everything I do as well , actually it's an upgrade to me, before that I wasn't using anything and let it fly all over.
    With the henry however I'm not able to see anything that gets left behind even when you turn down the light and shine a flashlight there's practicly nothing in the air.

for the automatic switching, I have just bought an £6 plug that does it for any powertool.
    the suggested BO5041 isn't out of my budget, however it has 125mm diameter only. Not sure if I could ever go back to the smaller sized discs and lower/slower rate of sanding?

13. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Damn I'm such a ****** sometimes, I remember when I was looking for a sander last time I saw it was written in one place that 150mm sander would take off material 2x faster due to 2x larger area of the pad than a 125mm one would.
    Just now I took a calculator , spend 20sec to calculate how much is it actually and it's not the case! :D haha

125mm has an area of -122cm2
    150mm has an area of- 176cm2

so that's only about 44% increase in area the 150mm pad covers not 2x as I saw somewhere.

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Consider an extractor further down the line. I haven't used mine thoroughly yet (nor have i the TS55:cool:), but can already say it makes a huge difference.
    The feature I think I like most is the adjustable suction, I can get it set so the sander gives off no dust, but doesn't 'pull' into the work piece.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wait till you try the Rotex with the switch to the right on full speed - it sands timber like an angle grinder on aluminum

16. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Can't say that I have even considered to upgrade from Henry nor after checking out the Makita vacuum cleaner that I would consider ''upgrading'' even at this moment.
    I got the henry for I think £25 from someone local, the HEPA bags cost like £0.3 a piece - they can pick up even plasterboard dust and keep them at bay without leaking through, I have used and abused it, dropped down several times from stairs, it's very very quiet for a vacuum cleaner and has got 2 speeds and looooads of suction when you need it and have a clean bag in it. Oh and the lead on it is fantastic, it rolls inside its head and doesn't gets in a way like it would for the makita one.

At least when used with the mirka which has nice extraction , and checking the actual dust levels there was nothing that would indicate that the henry didn't do a great job, using it with mitre saw as well, and again it does a great job.
    I know the Finer stuff is what you should look after but the HEPA rated bags should do just that which I think was about the same equilevent of your ''L class extraction'' ?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The trouble is it is the fine stuff that not only makes a mess but gets into your nose and lungs

KIAB likes this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've been watching a few Youtube videos on it, now i understand why it replaces the need for a belt sander...
    Really looking forward to getting one, hopefully Festool will have a Jan deal...I don't think i will be able to hold off much longer...

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Don't get me wrong, Henry's are fantastic, I'm on my second after the first served about 20 years of use. Sadly it didn't fair well from a scaffold drop:(
    They are not a patch on extractors though.

20. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Well you never know yourself the difference before you try anything better than what you already have , so I will have to take your word for it and try to try it out when I get a chance :)

Joe95 likes this.