Best adhesive for butt and scribe

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Mar 11, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Hi what's the thoughts and experience on the best seal for a worktop joint? has anyone used polyurethane glue? I've used clear silicone before but water can get in and start swelling the chipboard. Is colorfill by unika the best? Iv'e used it before and seem to remember it doesn't give you much working time and doesn't go a long way?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've used clear silicone, pva and colorfill in the past, but I'd have to go with colorfill if given the million dollar question.

3. John Bunyan

Thanks, I'm thinking the same right now. Do you get 1 joint out of a tube?

Joinerjim likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'd bought a few tubes as I was doing my own 'U' shaped kitchen a couple of years ago, so I went overkill on the amount used, but I do believe you'll get one for one, yes. And not had any issues yet. Ring up your kitchen manufacturers to check if you have any concerns or look up on tinternet, I'm not very computer savvy to post a link. Others may come on here and advise you with a different product mind you, so you may not want to take just my word for it.

5. John Bunyan

Ok Jord thanks very much for your help.

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Sikaflex EBT is VERY strong, seals and comes in various colours. Get it in SF.

7. John Bunyan

Thanks Bianco, is this the stuff? how long do have to work before it goes off? It's a pu glue so will foam up. Have you used it for butt and scribe joints on laminate worktops?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually use colorfil. One tube per joint, although I like to use a bit extra so would have at least 3 tubes for 2 joints.

Just make sure you can assemble the joint easily and can get in to tighten up the bolts quickly after applying the colorfil.

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Colorfill here also. Only one tube per joint for me ;-) Yes you have got to get the joint done up quick smart.

CGN likes this.
  10. John Bunyan

How long have you got to get the bolts tight up? I'm thinking of using geo or 25 minute pu glue what do you think?

11. John Bunyan

Do you always use a new cutter on a fresh kitchen?

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't use a polyurethane glue with a laminated chipboard worktop, asking for trouble when it bubbles up, you'll have to wait til it goes hard to scrape it off, and you risk damaging the top doing so. It's never going to move if sealed and bolted properly so I wouldn't worry too much about different glues. I would use a fresh cutter per kitchen, yes, you may get two uses from one bit but it's pushing it. Again, why risk it? Fresh cutter.

13. John Bunyan

Ok thanks. Just a bit concerned I can get it tightly bolted up in time before the colorfill goes off. It's a bit daft they don't make it to stay soft longer but there you go.

14. BiancoTheGiraffe

No foaming up with Sikaflex. It handles like silicone sealant and spillages can be wiped off easily with white spirit.

I got to use it when building a campervan from an old builders van. It's the stuff all caravan builders use, really really good stuff

15. John Bunyan

16. BiancoTheGiraffe