Best emulsion rollers

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jvs, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jvs

jvs New Member

Hi, to all the seasoned experts. I would like your advice as to which you concider to be the best make of rollers for emulsion work. Dont laugh but I have always used a paint pad (for last 20 years) up to now, as I like a smooth finish and you don't get splatter,I have always found rollers to leave a stippled surface. I guess they must have improved the quality over the years.Also type would you suggest i.e. sheepskin or polyester?
    Regards John

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

jvs, any roller will have a tendancy to leave a stippled effect, even the foam type. The effect of the stippling can also be increased by the pressure applied to the roller. Firstly, don't knock paint pads, I know of many who use these with good result. If you choose to use a roller a light pile would be the best, have handy a 3" to 4" brush to lay off. This method will obliterate the stippled effect, or apply with a brush feathering out your paint and finishing with light upward strokes. "laying off."

Potty.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't laugh but I have always used a paint pad (for last 20 years.

Roller have come a long way in the past 20 years, I use a range of 'Purdy' rollers for emulsion and ordinary cheap ones for gloss, laying off with a brush on the gloss work. For eggshell I use Mohair rollers and they leave a superb finish.

4. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Don't laugh but I have always used a paint pad (for last 20 years.

Everyone has their own way of doing things :)

Another vote for Purdy from me, very little paint splatter with them.

Like Astramax if I have to use a gloss roller then I'd use standard DIY store jobbies (also very good for Zinnser BIN if covering larger areas) & cheap DIY "Basics" range emulsion rollers if ever I have to use Pliolite based masonry or something as it pretty much ruins the sleeve.

5. billhicks

billhicks Member

Micro Fibre rollers are the dogs!

I get mine from Homebase(Harris Finesse), Dulux sell them at trade centre and screwfix also I think.

6. Purdy White Dove short pile rollers are the best rollers Ive used so far. Minimal orange peeling, you can get a really smooth finish.

7. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

another vote for purdy from me

unless of course it is external, then i use dulux 1st long pile roller sleeves

8. 1.4142

1.4142 New Member