Best exterior fine crack filler before painting?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Mar 24, 2017.

1. 'Lo all.

Will likely be painting the exterior of a house at some point. If I can calm my nerve - it's 3 stories although only a semi.

Anyhoo, it's around 12 years old with the original paint finish which is looking very tired. It also has a few longish fine cracks from general settlement - they tend to come from window corners etc.

Soooo, What's the best/easiest filler to use? Hoping to not have to rake out the cracks are they are hairlineish - just wanna fill, ideally from a cartridge I guess, and paint soon afterwards.

Also, thoughts on the best make of ext paint, please?

Ta very muchly.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Something like Tou pret with a splash of the masonry paint added to it and worked into the cracks with a brush. Could flash it over after filling with a damp sponge to remove excess filler.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old credit card make a great tool for working filler into fine cracks.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the cracks are really 'hairline', it's difficult getting any filler in them to make a repair. Take it's a rendered finish ?

The problem I had last year when I painted my house and repaired cracks is you end up spreading filler either side of the crack. When you scrape the excess filler off, you effectively spread filler over the rendered surface and end up with a different texture finish to the original render. This screams out when it's painted and what starts off as an annoying hairline crack, ends up as noticeable patch of utter annoyance

The really fine cracks I just dabbed loads of paint into using an old brush, wiped off any excess and repeated a few times, before painting over the whole wall

Larger cracks filled with Toupret exterior, removed excess filler then textured filler with an old dry brush to match render finish
    Any filler either side of crack or smeared over the render I removed with a damp brush

Hard to get them to completely disappear and some will open up again but, generally worth the extra time taken I recon

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  6. Spot on, Dave.

The in laws had their hoosie painted last ear and the guy used a 'resin' filler from a cartridge I believe. It's as you say, quite visible with the raised track either side of where the crack was.

Yes, this other house is also rendered with a 'smooth' finish - ie slightly 'sandy' textured. So, yes, any surrounding filler will mess that up.

I'll have a close look to see what size these cracks are, and take the solution from there. If I go Berec paint, then I may well just try forcing paint in to the crack and then painting over - it's meant to be super-flexible.

Cheers.

7. david isle

david isle New Member

I try to avoid any types of filler that require mixing with water because even when overcoated with the best possible exterior masonry paints water ingress will eventually find its way to the filler and start making it grow in size as it degrades, eventually giving you the tale tale raised filler lines pushing the paint covering away from the substrate.
    If the hairline cracks are very fine just remove as much old filler as possible and coat with 2 slightly watered down coats of paint with a small long haired rad roller, then over coat as per your paint application recommendations.
    If filler is necessary try to keep it to the absolute minimum possible because its always old filled parts of your external walls that will breakdown first.
    i have found 2 part polyester type filler or similar that car body shops use is good and not over expensive compared to branded types
    mixed in small amounts on a plastic based tray, and using old maxed out credit cards to apply the filler always make me chuckle, any left over 2 part filler is easily removed from plastic when fully cured by flexing the plastic.
    the 2 part filler when cured is not the easiest to sand down so apply slowly when sanding use 80 grit sandpaper in circular motions.

bespoke painting and decorating company owner with 35 years experience.

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  8. david isle

david isle New Member

with regards to paint any of the Truguard Pliolite Based based exterior masonry paints

9. Thanks David - all good advice.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got any experience of BONDA DECOR FILL, it seems a good two part filler.

11. david isle

david isle New Member

BONDA DECOR FILL is polyester based filler thats a good allrounder just shop around to ensure competitive pricing
    on your purchase.

PRACTICAL ADVISE.
    1, MIX SMALL AMOUNTS ONLY LESS IS BEST.
    2, AVOID USING METAL TOOLS WHERE PRACTICAL, AS IT WILL STICK TO METAL BETTER THAT THE PROVERBIAL SH~T TO A BLANKET
    SAYING.
    3, THE AMOUNT OF HARDENER TO FILLER % CAN BE TWEAKED TO PROLONG SETTING TIMES OR SHORTEN THEM FOR SMALL REPAIR JOBS, PLUS 5% FOR FAST SET OR MINUS 5% HARDENER TO EXTEND WORKING TIME WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE FILLERS PROPERTIES.