Best exterior varnish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by HootTokh, Oct 16, 2013.

1. HootTokh

HootTokh New Member

Hello

Having become disillusioned with high street products over the years (too much work re-doing it all after the product fails) I would like to find out what the best option is before I revarnish my front door.

It is what I believe to be mahogany, south facing and gets the weather. It currently has a very smooth varnish type finish on it and I would love to know what it is. It is a flat slightly shiny finish and looks so smooth it may have been sprayed on.
    Anyway, can you advise what the best varnish is that I could use on this door?

Thanks

P

2. Sheff

Sheff New Member

Hello HootTokh, I dyed my oak window and then painted three coats of Yacht varnish (strangely enough from Screwfix would you believe!) on it. I believe it still looks okay but it's been only a few months....might need to wait till the year is up and I can see what the four seasons has done to it. Cheers

3. HootTokh

HootTokh New Member

Thanks for the info. I will let you know if I find anything else out

4. John - JL Services

John - JL Services New Member

Hi HootTokh
    Sheff is right with the yacht varnish, I have used it on garden furniture on a number of occassions and it is very hard wearing, gives a good finish and lasts well. I would avoid any varnish that is water based (identified if you wash the brushes in water to clean) as these tend to be softer and not as hard wearing. Dulux weathershield trade is a good yatch varnish, solvent based and has UV protection as well.
    http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/web/pdf/datasheets/DT608.pdf

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Any varnish in time will flake I prefer to use a wood stain, Sikkens is very good all you need to do is a rub down and recoat next time you don't have loads of flaking discoloured varnish to deal with.
    You do need to strip to bare wood to start with though.

http://sikkens.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/index.jsp

6. HootTokh

HootTokh New Member

Thanks for the advice I didn't see that there were more replies.

Much appreciated