best external black metal paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by rd1, Jun 25, 2014.

1. rd1

rd1 Member

Hi All,
    I have volunteered to repaint the metal gates in our local Churchyard and wonder if you could recommend any particular type of paint. The gates are very old wrought iron and have some rust showing and some underneath the previous paint. Ideally I want to wire brush them, wash, dry and then gloss paint over the base metal and the existing paint. Hopefully one coat coverage, I thought Hammerite would be good but wonder if there is any other paint that is easy to apply and able to cope with the conditions of the gates.
    Any recommendations would be fantastic
    Thanks for reading
    Rob

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

get them striped and galvanised - then paint them with something like POR-15, if you like the idea of having to paint them every few years use POR-15 metal prep to stabilize the rust rather than having them stripped and galv'ed

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google....Rustoleum Combi Color and amaze yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

4. rd1

rd1 Member

Thanks Sean,
    I will look at the POR-15 as not sure how expensive it would be to get them stripped and galvanised but I will do some research on cost.
    Thanks for the reply
    Rob

5. rd1

rd1 Member

Astramax, thanks for the suggestion, I had heard of this (Rustoleum Combi Color) but not sure how good it was. It looks just the thing I had in mind,have you used it and is it as good as it looks?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, used it many times, dries without showing any brush lines....amazing finish that's looks like it's been sprayed on, forget Hammerite not the same product now since 2010 VOC compliance.

7. supertosh

supertosh Member

Stop pussying around and give them a cpl of coats of good old hammerite :D

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I used rustoluem, to paint my van, ( yes I did. Lol) anyhow where I painted over existing rust spots, every single one of them has come back, iam very disappointed with it, I even picked the paint up from the stockest and was told to use the primer first, so having spent a couple of hundred quid on paint primer etc, it is a total let down, I wouldn't use it again.

One other thing I don't like about it either, is it chips really easy.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Shot blasting, then galvanising is the answer if you don't want to paint them every few years. I have never used rustoleum for years, but I suspect it is not the same stuff as I used 40 years ago. I have found Hammerite too brittle & prone to chipping.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Haven't used Hammerite for a few years now, but when I did, it was brilliant. Most important thing I find, is to make sure the work gets a really good clean-up with white spirit and rags after prep. Then apply with a good stiff brush rather than one that just 'lays' the paint on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Supra

Supra Member

To use POR-15 the way it's recommended you'll need to remove all of the existing paint and remove all the loose rust, also POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight. The paint isn't cheap and you'll also need to buy the pre cleaner and the metal prep solutions.

So the answer to your question really depends on your budget, how good a job you want to do and how much time you want to spend doing it.

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

.... and how often do you want to be doing it

13. rd1

rd1 Member

Guys,
    Thanks for all the advice and views on the options. They are most helpful but as Supra says it all comes down to cost of materials and time etc. I like the idea of the galvanising but do think realistically it is between Hammerite and Rustoleum and I now need to stop 'pussyfooting around' as supertosh so eloquently put it, and get on with it!
    Thanks again
    Rob