Best filler choice around refitted windows - not using inner strips.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Plec, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is something I have just done to my recently decorate flat.

Flat was ex council so windows were fitted in cheaply :mad:

Had plastic trims around the length of the window plus the wooden window sill.

I ended up removing these using a Stanley knife to first cut the sealant used to fix them in place before precising off.

Underneath the trims revealed large gaps. I used expanding foam to fill the large holes and gaps. then got plaster in to use browning to build up the plaster layer. this was keyed before using finish plaster. There was a wooden curtain rail which was loose above the window, I ended up pulling this off, the galvanized angle bead on the top was loose as only had been fixed with a finishing plaster, new one was cut to suit ans set in level using plasterboard adhesive pressing into dabs along the length.

Quite a big job but didn't like the look of the trims so well worth it in my opinion :)

There was a gap between the window cill and the frame, for this I used a small length of strip wood gluing and pining into place. everything was painted up so all blends in nicely.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Best to decide a solution once windows have been fitted. In some instances, if they come out cleanly, then a good decorators caulk may work.
    If bigger gaps, then foam is potentially the way forward (fitters should foam anyway) and once dried, you can undercut this so below plaster surface. Depending on existing plaster, you can carefully remove a layer of skim from the existing edge, PVA over the foam and area and fill with bonding plaster. Make sure this is left below the skim level and when hardened, carefully apply scrim tape, overlapping from new to old and use fine filler such as easifil to level off. Sand when dry and you'll have an invisible repair that will not crack. There are other methods but difficult to fully advise without photos.
    PVC trim is an easy quick fix which covers a multitude of sins, which is why its popular with window fitters and can look OK for awhile but generally starts to look naff as the silicon yellows and gets dirty over time.

KIAB, Plec and Jord86 like this.
  3. Plec

Plec Member

Thanks, KIAB - will take a detailed look.

Noted - thanks for the extra info, appreciated.

4. Plec

Plec Member

Thanks for detailing your efforts - it's good to read about a successful transition and the way you achieved it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, CGN.

This sounds like the ultimate solution - i would have to sell the idea to the fitter/builder as this method sounds beyond my DIY skill set. But, sounds like the neatest solution - but also the most involved (but then guaranteed no cracks with a plastered finish i would expect it to be more involved/more steps to achieve)

But this does sound a plaster, crack free solution...

Decisions, decisions - so many different and varying degree's of difficulty.

Really appreciate everyone's input - i have quite a bit of research to do. It will come down to quality and ease of completion if i do it myself. Or alternatively persuading my builder to go the extra mile with corrective filling...

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It's not really that difficult, but easier to show than explain. Another option is to get a plasterer in for a day and re-skim the reveals.

6. Plec

Plec Member

I'm more a technical/mechanical skilled DIY'er - i'm a very messy plasterer (my wife may have used the words 'We're paying someone next time!!!' - after clearing up my mess). I would also fear for my windows ability to let in light if i attempted this :)

But, i like the idea of hiring a plasterer for the day if you think 12 windows are possible using this method(?) - it would be ~£150 well spent for the desired finish.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Still best to finish with a bead of silicone. It sticks properly to the frame, it's flexible and it doesn't crack. If plastered close to the frame, a small bead of silicone will blend very nicely with the frame.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yeah its possible for a good spread, but theyd use a different approach to what I detailed. Using easifil, is a great way of achieving a good finish as its sandable. Plasterer would generally use multi finish plaster instead which would be trowelled to a smooth finish leaving hopefully little filling.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Plec

Plec Member

Thanks - will ask fitter as I'm hopeless with silicon unless taped.
    Thanks again, CGN.

*Update/query - builder has sent me a brief message that he would be filling gaps with foam anyway and mentioned, there would be a minimum 10mm gap between window and plaster - and named 'Fine Fill' in passing as a product.

Would I be be better advised using 'easifil'? Would that adhere to foam better and have more tolerance against cracking? Or are there better more flexible/sandable plasters?

Thanks again KIAB - i read the PDFs too, great product.

*Re sealants in general and my poor skills:

I've researched the flexible sealants (great products, thanks again for suggestions) but I'm concerned about my lack of skill with this type of product and it's slightly unforgiving nature - in that it can't be sanded. I think my skill level requires a product with 'post application tolerance' :)

I could imagine myself making quite a mess with this - thinking back to my previous silicon attempts - and they were small in comparison. Imagine a small shower neatly beaded but a roll of paper towel, masking tape and myself all covered in silicon too. :)

Will definitely use this for skirting when refitted though...

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Treat yourself to some sealant finishing tools, will allow you to get the perfect angle & finish.

And soapy water is great for finishing the sealant, I use it a a hand spray bottle.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Plec and CGN like this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Easifil is a brand name for a fine filler, which is common in the trade, other brands do a similar job. If prepped right, a smallish gap should be OK, although you can never be certain. Fill it, paint it and don't worry too much :)

Plec and KIAB like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plenty of others on Youtube.

Plec likes this.
  14. Plec

Plec Member

I should have added 'pile of finishing tools covered in silicon' to my earlier list :D But will take a look as they may have moved on/improved - plus mine were cheap plastic ones.
    The spray bottle is a great tip - thank you.
    Jeez - that Fugi Kit looks so simple to use. I'm ordering one now for the bathrooms whatever. If the gaps are smaller than 10mm on some of the windows i may experiment as that looks so simple (reality may be a different though when in my hands - but it almost looks Plec proof.)

Well, if my previous posts weren't proof enough that i know little about DIY - there you have it in one line. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Sound advice - thanks again.