Best Fixings

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Dec 17, 2014.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi Guys
    Any recommendations for fixing heavy rad to wall in new build house where the inner skin is the soft insulation block with dot and dab on top.
    Cheers
    RS

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi RS,
    most tend to come supplied with something like this (you can put a nice thick washer on them too), or i guess you could use something like this for more strength.
    Merry Christmas

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I use a brown plug and 3 inch screw, make sure the plug is knocked through the plaster board and into the block

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When i fitted a load of kudox rads from screwfix, they were supplied with large M10 nylon plugs and coach screw. If its a large rad they usually have 3 brackets.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Usually go for a larger dia screw than normal in thermalite, so a no 10 in a red, or no 12 in a brown. 3" is good for dot and dabbed walls, making sure you pop the plug through into the thermalite.

Frame fixings are not bad either, but prefer plugs and screws as you can adapt the size for a larger dia screw.

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Many thanks guys(fats for links)
    I have put up shelving in the new garage and used smaller masonry drill than usual with red plugs and larger screws.
    This seems get a reasonable fix(and lots of them) but its always nice to get info from you guys who may have solved problems with items I am not aware of.
    Hate reinventing the wheel...and certainly not too proud to learn from ...your...mistakes..lol.
    RS

7. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

It also gives your neighbours somewhere to hang their coats :)

8. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I tend to use the square plug if it's the thermalite block and it has to take some weight, never fails...

B J

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

did any of you guys ever hear my sticktion theory ? :confused:

10. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Yes tom you sold me a roll remember, with the instructions [​IMG]

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'll take that as a no then but its a bit late now so i'll come back and explain more deeply tomorrow, I might even do a vid cos this question keeps on coming up, a picture tells a thousand words an all that,

bless.