Best heavy duty extension lead

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ryluer, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

240v extension lead to run Thermal Arc 175 amp invertor welder on site.

About 60m long.
    Is one available off the shelf or would CEF have some cable to make one up.
    Would voltage drop be excessive?

I'm finding running the welder in the workshop the 100amp setting welds nicely with 3.2mm rods.

I'm thinking 2.5mm rubberised cable of some sort?

2. Surprisingly bnq had the best one for the money i could find think it is 45m bought one from screwfix first then see the better one in bnq bought that too and just last week needed them both for about 80m run using a mig had to turn to right up because of voltage drop but did the job

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I'm currently thinking of SY cable...
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1448589.pdf

With commando plugs and sockets.

Will the 5 core 1.5mm (with paired wiring for live and neutral) have less voltage drop than 3 core 2.5mm?

The former is 9.6mm in diameter and the latter 10.6mm.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

1.5mm x 2 = 3mm.

Thus the 1.5mm twinned should have less voltage drop. Right?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just praise God and he will show you the way.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    But do you have any knowledge on electrics? Thought not.
    Now jog on.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have finally managed to put some sort of logical argument together, well done, keep it up.

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must confess,I bought my lead from B&Q. Not pulling as much power as you Ryuler, but fine for power tools.Made by Masterplug. Worth a look. :)

Ryluer likes this.
  9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Why are you only considering voltage drop as your basis for a decision? 175A is a mighty big current. Don't you think worrying over whether the cable is correctly sized for current is the first consideration? I wouldn't be using 2.5mm2 flex on 175A!!!!

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am not familiar with inverter welding machines, so, how much current does the welder unit draw from its supply? Presumably the 175A is the current it uses along the weld cables to the welding piece so its clearly not part of the equation in this case.

This is for a 50m long 2.5mm rubber industrial extension lead.

Technical details10.1KG = calculated weight.
    10.66volts = calculated volt drop pulling a load off 13amps(2990watts)
    4.92volts = calculated volt drop pulling a load off 6amps(1380watts)
    0.4Ω= calculated cable core resistance
    2.5H07-rcd4g-50 (product ID)

Just found this info on the web. Must admit I wasn't aware of industrial extension leads of this nature. Apologies for the first post, I was beyond the allowed 10 minutes time limit to edit it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The best extension lead I had was a 50M jojo one with 2.5 flex and 4 outlets. Some idiot borrowed it and I found it the next day with an immersion plugged into it still coiled up. Still got the lead but its about 10M long nowadays.

Whatever you do dont buy one that is open like this

[​IMG]

absolute ballache to coil up.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

From the MI's (which are American) its states a 40amp fuse size. But I assume that's the mcb size at the CU.
    However I'm running it on a 13amp 3 pin plug currently and it seems to be coping OK.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes that's fine, Ryluer. The welding machine is supplied at 13A and the machine pumps out high current for the welding process. Does the extension lead get warm? :)

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

No it's not.

It sounds like for full output, the input current is 40amp.

So if he's welding at half power, it's circa 20amp, which a 13amp fuse would tolerate for a while on and off.

There must be a rating plate. What's the model?

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bought a 50mtr roll of 4mm Arctic cable, rated for 32 amps & made up a 30,15 & 5 mtr extension leads for my welder.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Did you use the commando plugs?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

Ran a seperate 16amp radial from consumer unit to 16amp Commando wall socket (MK K9201BLU) in workshop.

Then used commando plugs & sockets on leads & welder, 13amp plug got too warm.:eek: