Best jig and router

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tore81, Oct 11, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Can anyone recommend.

just want to buy once. Any info be great! Festool any good?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For what?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Festool, expensive, but the best.

You looking at 1/2" or the 1/4"(8mm) beastie, what's the use.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If doing worktops, you'll need a good powerful 1/2" jobby.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your looking at around £550 for a 1/2" Festool Router OF 2200 EB-Plus router.:eek::eek::eek:

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have about 6 or 7 routers from a Bosch palm router, trend, dewalt to a monster makita one.

I even have a cheapie from Lidl/Adli because I needed a router there and then and it was easier than going all the way back to my place to collect one. To be fair for the £20 price it isn't bad doesn't get used as much as the others but has come in useful on times

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the reply guys. Im interested in the festool.ive just fallen so many times for buying the wrong kit. Plus in guessing it will compliment the guide rail and saw.

If its not worth the money well maybe if look at dewalt etc.

I'm looking at 1/2 inch for work tips etc. I'm wanting to learn this. Something I've always wanted to learn.

I've seen the festool jig and look simple. I'm guessing the simpler setup the better

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It's not too hard...if you swat up and take your time.

One of the most important things is that your base units are nice and level, especially if doing an 'L' or 'U' shape layout. Sometimes they might be already fitted, in which case, it may be worthwhile spending a bit of time re-working them before you begin to make it easier before you even look at the worktops! :)

You need to decide what will work best regarding where the joints will go. Sinks often dictate this or any other cutout for that matter as you need to keep as much meat on the bone so to speak.

Once this is decided, check units and runs for squarness as more often than not, corners will not be 90 degrees. Walls do not always run parallel/evenly with the front of the cabinet. You may need to scribe the top, or ask yourself if the splash back (if there's one to be fitted) will cover any gaps?

You should cut female joints first and if necessary scribe the male.

Make sure that you router into the bullnose and flip the top if necessary to do this.

Aim to take away no more than about 5mm each time and when finally through, do another complete pass to clean up the whole joint. I usually use a fresh cutter after about 2 joints and use the old ones to router out for the worktop bolts. Anything to keep the cutter as fresh as possible.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I have an old dewalt 625E. Which has an 1850 watt motor.
    The latest 625EK is fitted with a 2000w motor. So packs huge punch for a compact router.

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

And about £240 quid plus the VaT.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Including the vAt from axminster. SF don't seem to sell this great router.

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Good advice! CGN.

Something I've always wanted to do. Kitchen is nice work and those joints look superb. Expensive work tops are tho. So I'll have to swat. Am I right in saying the female joint always stays the same?

What router have you got? Did it come with a guide bush

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks ryleur. I like dewalt I'll check that out

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've got a Hatachi m12ve which came with a 30mm bush. It's more than adequate for my needs as I'm not fitting kitchens day in day out like some. I get excellent results with that and the jig I linked to earlier. Don't be put off by the price of the jig either, its excellent and will last me a lifetime.

Yes, cut female, then adjust male accordingly. I had a 'U' shaped kitchen to do not do long a go and one corner was way off and I was a bit apprehensive about the jig 'coping' with this. Sometimes you have the opportunity to have a few goes...if the un-jointed end is over hanging a run of cabinets etc. this wasn't the case as it butted up against a larder cupboard. Anyway, cut female...scribed male and it fitted like a glove. Just a case of taking your time and trusting the methods and having a decent jig.

tore81 likes this.
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Big Makita is an absolute monster of a router. Had mine years and years and its still routing whatever its asked to. Great bush change system too.