Best materials for ceiling with steps, shapes, etc

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jodes, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Jodes

Jodes New Member

I'm hoping to make a sort of sculptured ceiling - to explain this, pretend you're upside down, if it were a floor, it would have two levels separated by a single step.

My question is, what should the lower part of the ceiling be made of? I was thinking of suspending some wooden sheets to do this, with a 90 degree joined edge for the step (say about 10cm). I've read that plasterboard is designed to be fire retardant, which would make it ideal for safety, but it would be a nightmare to work with as it just crumbles if you try to cut it in any way, and also joining it at 90 degrees with anything equally hard. But the alternatives like plywood, MDF etc would add fuel to a fire.

Should I definitely use plasterboard, or would it be acceptable to use wood?
    Thanks

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well plasterboard is commonly used for ceilings without any problems so without fully going into your plans, can't see a problem with this tried and trusted method

Couple of questions ;

Is the steeped section being built over an existing ceiling and if so, what Is the existing ceiling constructed of

Are you planning on having the ceiling skimmed if using plasterboard

Is this in a domestic or other setting

Why ?? !! :D:D

3. Jodes, are you saying you want a plain stepped square (or rectangle) on your ceiling? Just dead plain - no edge beading, detailing or nuffink?

In which case, the best way to make this is the same way as you existing ceiling is built - a timber frame clad in plasterboard, plaster beads fitted on the edges and then having it all skimmed.

I'm guessing you've seen something like this before and want to copy it? If so, can you post a link so's we understand you properly?

If, on t'other 'and, you want what looked like a 'floating' panel as tho' suspended under the main ceiling, perhaps with hidden lights that shone out sideways, then a slightly different approach would be required. But it would still begin with a lightweight timber frame to build it all on.

Tell us what you really want :)

4. Jodes

Jodes New Member

Thanks for quick response guys, was expecting a quick answer but turns out I need to think this through more!! But in the mean time, basically it's for my living room ceiling which atm is plain, flat, old, knackered. I'm not hoping to have it too fancy, just a bit different. I've attached pics which gave me the ideas, but what I end up doing really depends on what I think my chances of pulling it off are!!
    False-Gypsum-Ceiling-Designs-for-Homes2.jpg bedroom.jpg

5. Ah, so it does have 'edges' and recessed parts?

Ok, still peasy easy for a half-witted DIYer. As you no doubt suspect, the main issue will be getting a good finish?

I think I would use MDF for this sort of more complex shape, and you'd only have to use 4 or 6mm thick stuff - the 4mm stuff could even be cut using a Stanley knife with a few scores, so should be darned accurate.

You will still need a timber frame - unless you want to build it from much thicker MDF. The timber can be cheap 2x1 just butt-jointed and screwed through, then clad with the MDF. Plane and roughly sand the edges/corners to get them crisp.

Then simply paste on lining paper to get a good finish reading for emulsioning.

I think that's wot I would do.

(Bear in mind, tho', that MDF is a 'combustible' material, so there are lots of lighting types that shouldn't be fitted directly on to it.)