best option for me?? advice needed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rusko, Mar 17, 2015.

1. rusko

rusko New Member

Hi guys,

First post just looking for a bit of advice really if anyone has any.

I am 25 been in the building industry about 2-3 years now. Been working as a skilled labourer/general builder type role. Enjoy general building but hoping to master a trade, i love carpentry although havn't done a lot of that at work. This month i finish my second year at college for the evening carpentry course i have attended. I want to continue in carpentry and to progress but cant figure out what options there are for me. My job ends this month too as my boss is taking on no more contracts and going back into staging work which is london based and wont include me.

Im racking my brain at what to do, i feel taking a job as a labourer would be a step backwards (in pay and in progression) but at the same time not enough experience to apply for a carpenters role. I wondered about adult apprenticeships but keeping in mind i have kids and am running a household so maybe not the best option.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice it would be kindly appreciated as i am stumped at what route i should take

Cheers fellas

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Set yourself up as a handyman..............

Julian Hadley and FatHands like this.
  3. Matt90

Matt90 New Member

Where do you live? I'm looking for someone to work with me on sites in the midlands. Mainly 2nd fix carpentry

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I agree with Wiggy, I started my handyman/carpentry business 13 years ago and haven't looked back since. I work only in domestic homes and it is very different from site work though ( a lot more pleasant generally). If you have a bit of experience under your belt , and you have your head screwed on you should do OK, of course, if your living out in the sticks somewhere you might find it hard going.

FatHands likes this.
  5. anthony kay

anthony kay New Member

I agree with these posts too Handyman is the way to go, if you can be reliable and do a decent job you will never look back.
    Word of mouth will soon get around.

6. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

just don't pretend to be able to do carpentry, while calling yourself a handy man, if you want to be a carpenter get experience with another firm, and get some college too, the biggest problem with some people in your position is they turn up to a job and do it like they think it should be done and not how it is supposed to be done, that will kick you right in the pants. its a great trade to do but lots and lots of muppets get it wrong, don't you do the same!

7. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member

good way in to wood butchering is get a job at b&q as a greeter then tout the instore punters especially doors go fit doors for them just do doors .

8. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member

alternative is to hang around the B&Q car parks handling flyers out about your door hanging services remember just doors .

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hanging doors is the pits.

mr moose and Astramax like this.
  10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I'm on a roof at the moment with two joiners. But I's still just a labourer.
    Three of us covered 600 sq/m of roof today with loft insulation and corrugated agri clad tin.

11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

What work do you like chippy?

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

And that's our second day on the roof. Same area yesterday and another 240 sq/m left.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm mainly a scenic carpenter and I like to make things and solve problems rather than stick doors in holes, lay floors etc, I find them mind blowingly boring. Having said that I am stud walling this week.

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Sounds interesting work chippie.
    Stud walling is nice work mind I enjoy that. Haven't done it for ages.

Are you with a company or self employed?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm self employed but mainly work for other companies who get their work from producing companies.
    I rarely know what I am going to be doing from one day to the next but as long as I have work I like that.
    The stud walling is OK, it's in a Dutch barn but it has heating and lights and a labourer to do the cladding, radio on, tea break every 2 hours and the money is in my bank the day after I invoice.

tore81 and seen it all before like this.
  16. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member

hanging doors is good better than shelf stacking at pound world [what I did before ]and the money is better just watched a few videos on door fitting on you tube some bought some cheap as chips power tools hung a couple of doors in my house had some flyer s printed and hey presto im a carpenter bit of blag helps as well :)
    all due respect chippie 244 i would remove your facial hair it's probably frightening people and SMILE on your picture :(

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can hang doors, you're not a carpenter!o_Oo_O

TimberTech and mr moose like this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree :D

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

When I'm refurbing renters, I'm usually too busy with 'other jobs' so best get someone else to do it eh ;)

20. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member