Best paint for large area of wood panelling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Imp, May 9, 2016.

1. Imp

Imp New Member

We' have a ceiling to paint that is pine cladding (new, bare wood). It's a pretty large area to cover (about 3m x 7m) and most wood paint /advice seems to be geared towards stuff like skirting and trim (small areas, small tins of paint). I've gotten as far in my reading online and on here to figure we'll need to use knotting solution and then primer. Ideally whatever goes after that would be something that comes in large tins and could be rollered (as it would save spending an eternity on a ladder with a brush getting a crick in my neck!!).

I'm guessing the "correct" way would be something like eggshell for the final coat - but is there something more suitable for doing such a big area (and more cost/labour-effective to apply)? Would something like fence or shed paint be a complete bodge?

Sorry for my ignorance and appreciative of any advice!

2. Hi Imp.

That isn't daft at all :).

Yes, use knotting liquid first.

Then, well, it's largely up to you. I'd personally go 'matt' or as near as, simply because even a slight sheen on walls and ceilings looks awful imo.

So, which matt paint will stick to bare timber? Pretty much them all :)

You could actually get away with a straight coat of good quality matt emulsion, the stuff you'd put on walls. No primer needed - just straight on.

Or 'garden shades' types paints will obviously adhere too. (With one proviso - some 'fence' paints are specifically intended for rough sawn timber like fence panels, and will not go on so well on smooth sanded wood. Check the instructions.)

Or, wanna know a type of paint that'll stick 100%?! Tee-hee - masonry paint :)

Personally, I'd simply go matt emulsion. Use a good brand like Dulux or Johnson's or similar.

What colour were you going for?

One issue you may find to start with is if the cladding moves as it stabilises to your room's humidity level, exposing lines of unpainted wood in the grooves. You might even find it'll expand during winter and contract again over summer - ad nauseam. If so, chust paint well into the Vs when they've shrunk the most...

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You got some fetish about masonry paint...:eek:o_O

4. Imp

Imp New Member

:D To be honest i'd come across a few of the threads with Devils Advocate's (appropriate name!) views on masonry paint so far and was kind of anticipating this!

Thank you though, we were aiming for just plain old white and hoping for the least glossy finish possible, so the matt emulsion suggestion is ideal (though I understand from the other threads that masonry paint is generally matt too :)). Unfortunately, we downed tools over the winter due to some ill health and so have already experienced some of the joys of temp changes and expanding wood (the odd bit has popped out).

The only area which might warrant a bit of extra protection is a small shower room (seperate area of ceiling) - I thought it would maybe need to be something slightly better at blocking moisture? It was reading about bathroom panelling that the Eggshell bit came from mainly. Thats a *much* smaller area though so don't mind so much if we just have to get a wee tin of something else for there.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For the ceiling panelling use Zinsser BIN for knotting, then undercoat all bare wood with Dulux Acrylic Primer/Undercoat and finish off with 2 full coats of Dulux Brilliant White Matt Emulsion. You may require decorators caulk for any gap filling.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    KIAB likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As for Dulux buy the 'TRADE' version (Dulux Trade), high opacity, superior coverage.

7. Imp

Imp New Member

Thank you, sounds like the Primer + Emulsion is the way to go for the bulk of it :)

8. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would spot with Zinsser Bullseye, then a cople off Coats of Zinsser Perma White Matt

9. Yeah, I'd go with Imp or Astra :D

(Mind you, if masonry paint - matt, very durable, fully weather resistant... can cope with the extreme ootdoors, then, well, y'know... :rolleyes: )

walks away whistling...