Best place to look to hire skilled tradesmen [London area]

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mamconstruction, Sep 3, 2016.

1. mamconstruction

mamconstruction New Member

I've tried employment sites like jobcreater dot com, gumtree, the Polish language newspaper and couple of other similar sites but the few people I actually interviewed fell way below what they said they could do versus what they actually could do. I even tried Streetlife dot com where people recommended local tradesmen as being "skilled, honest, and reasonably priced" and figured the recommendations must have come from their personal friends as none of these guys had a clue.

Can anyone recommend a good agency that has genuinely skilled tradesmen {carpenters, decorators, tilers etc}?

2. markone_789

markone_789 New Member

the Polish language newspaper and couple of other similar sites.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe try looking for British builders who know what there doing.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Must be a quiet night - I was expecting this to ignite

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Judging by your "name" are you trying to make a business in property development ?

5. mamconstruction

if you could point me to a good site where I could do this I'd be delighted to

6. mamconstruction

me, too

7. mamconstruction

been in the game for 15 years in London but finding good skilled workers are getting harder and harder to come by... not property development but regular refurb at the moment but I have some possible large projects coming up [one commercial] and have been stymied with getting enough good workers.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's because peeps like you used the Polish language papers in the past, filled all the vacancy with said Polish, now you've realised they are not what you thought, ( no such think as cheap skill), so now are struggling to find skilled Brits, who by the way got pi$$ed off and left the game.

Reap what you sow. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. mamconstruction

I've only ever used the Polish language papers once, and just recently as I already explained. I've employed Brits, Poles, Greeks, Hungarians and so on... I'm not really worried where they come from, only if they do the work well. Your assumption is wrong and not very helpful for this forum question.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He asked for skilled!:p

11. Phil the Paver

Helpful or not, its fact, been around the building game nearly 40 years and seen it first hand.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

From what I gather the building trade is booming so the good trades are working for the good companies and the rest are struggling.

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Try lookin outside London

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was in a hotel in Slough this weekend and all the tradesmen were scousers.

15. Sparkielev

Used to work and live in Slough no disrespect but hated the place

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was there for a job Sunday/Monday, better than Luton, worse than Reading.
    Pinewood Studio was great though, apart from going through security.:(:(

17. Sparkielev

Used to live in house in Bray were the woman who owned it was hairdresser for all the big films regularly had
    M Caine
    S Connery come over she did a lot at pinewood

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bray is where the Hammer House of Horror films were made, I went there once years ago.

19. Phil the Paver

Is that where your avitar pic was taken. :D:D:D

20. Sparkielev

Yeah wasn't it Oakley court hotel