Best roller/paint combination

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DavidC, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

HI

Could somebody tell me the best type of matt paint (inside lounge wall/ceiling) and roller to use to get a good finish.

In the past my attempts at using a roller have been terrible flops and I could not get the job done and gone back to a brush which took ages. It was if the paint was too thick (Dulux vinyl matt). I even bought a paint pod compact and Dulux pod paint but again no luck.

I am painting on freshly plastered ceiling and walls (skimmed) and the plasterer recommended using PVA diluted 1 part PVA to 4 parts water to seal the surfaces rather than using watered down emulsion paint. Is this good advice.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. topcoat

topcoat New Member

No don't listen to the plasterer PVA has its uses but not with paint. If you search this site you will find all the info you need on this subject from decorators who really know there stuff. Personally i use a cheaper non vinyl white matt emulsion thinned down about 30 % . Give walls and ceilings a good coat it will soak in and look patchy but that's fine then give it two coats of your dulux no problem. As for brushes and rollers I use Hamilton rollers, give them a wash first to get any loose bits off, brushes I use purdys but you can get some descent brushes a bit cheaper if you don't have the use for them. One tip when you cut in around any edges with your brush come a few inches away from the edge then go over as close as you can with a mini roller it helps get rid of any brush marks and blends in better. By the way Cut in one wall at a time then roll it try to keep the paint edges wet. Hope this helps good luck.

3. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Thanks topcoat.

4. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

All I can add to topcoats answer is I'm guessing you're using a tray & likely a roller from one of the sheds?  You might find it easier with a scuttle, pole & decent cage/sleeve.  It's not essential of course but it makes life easier :)  Make sure you get enough paint on the roller but not too much, roll it out a couple of times on the inside of your scuttle to remove excess & make sure you're rolling it out evenly on the walls.  You'll soon see if there's too much on there, just take your time & roller over each section a couple of times as you go to get a nice even finish.  The first coat might look patchy but thats what the 2nd coat is for :)

You might want to get a long flexible mini roller pole from Screwfix.  Pretty cheap & invaluable for getting into difficult areas behind spindles or radiators if they aren't being removed.  For the mini roller you want a long/medium piled one for emulsioning rather than a foam one.

If you're thinking of doing much decorating in the future it's worth investing in a decent roller sleeve, I use Purdy Colossus (and Purdy pole, cage & quick release system).  They're expensive sleeves but if you clean them out properly they last forever & you'll soon save on buying that "use once chuck away" rubbish sold by the sheds.  I like to keep one for whites & others for lighter/darker colours.

Paint wise you can't go wrong with the Dulux product.

Oh and lol at the PVA.  Plasterers... ;-)

5. apl

apl Member

Dulux Supermatt is ideal for new plaster. Thin the first coat about 25%. Like SinkNugget, I use Colossus sleeves (long pile for the 1st coat, medium pile for the 2nd and 3rd (if I'm feeling generous ;) ) . I like mangers (platinum) bristle brushes for cutting in. Have a look at Dulux Diamond Matt for your topcoat, extremely durable, and can be easily cleaned

6. topcoat

topcoat New Member

Spot on stinknugget easy to over look the obvious but as you say a scuttle pole and a good cage do make the job a lot easier and for what they cost well worth it even for the occasional user, too easy to spill paint with a tray once you use a scuttle the tray will go in the bin.

7. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Thanks for the replies.

APL: when using the Dulux diamond matt for the final coat does it need to be thinned. I have just done the first coat on the ceiling with Glidden contract matt and I needed to thin that before it would roller on using the colossus medium.

Thanks

8. apl

apl Member

Hi David,

I thin diamond matt by about 10-15% and apply two coats. You'll get more coverage without losing opacity. It will also go on easier too|

9. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Supermatt has turned into Diamond Matt?!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Supermatt has turned into Diamond Matt?!

The next post will read...........the paint has now got blisters and bubbles in it, what's happened???????

11. apl

apl Member

Hi David. I take it you've used Glidden contract for the mist coat on the walls and ceiling. I would bring the ceiling to a finish with the contract (i.e 2 coats - 3 max). If your thinking of using Diamond Matt on the walls over the mist coated gliddens then I can't see that being a problem.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

apl, It is my understanding that Diamond matt is a vinyl paint and therefore will not let moisture escape through once dried, am I wrong?

Just looked on Dulux site,........ all surfaces must be fully dry before application of Diamond Matt.

13. apl

apl Member

Hi astra. I don't want to get into the ins and outs of mist coats/vinyls, etc. It's been covered on here many times. I've mist coated plaster with both supermatt and gliddens contract matt before using vinyl/diamond/eggshell, etc. for years and never had a problem.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The sticking point here is the word as used by the OP "freshly plastered",  freshly implies to me,  still contains a lot of moisture.

DavidC how fresh is freshly??????????????

15. topcoat

topcoat New Member

Fair point astramax, skimmed plaster dries pretty quick and right or wrongly I think the assumption was that it was dri, that's the problem when you don't see the job in person a confirmation from Dave c on how long it has had to dri would settle it.

16. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Thanks for all the info.

Astramax: The walls and ceiling were skimmed last weekend. The pasterer said it is dry to paint when the plaster colour changes from a "dark red wet look" to a "light pink dry look".

I have only painted the ceiling as yet.

17. DecorStar

DecorStar New Member

The new Coral Elite sleeve raises the bar as far as professional grade roller sleeves go. Apparently it's a wool blend (wool / acrylic) so the high density wool fabric blend gives an exceptional finish and the acrylic provides more durability or longer usable life. The product can be found here: *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator