Best router for general and worktop use ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Captain Leaky, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

OK guys, my router has died ( dropped too many times :( )so I need a new one.

Any recommendations? It is mainly used for worktops, sink cut outs and bathroom furniture cutaways. Any thoughts?

2. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

i use the dewalt, which isnt back for the price (about £230). Is a bit **** though, things falling off it, and i had to put a screw into the speed dial to stop it vibrating round...

people say festool one is better, certainly more expensive though!

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

My last one was a DW and that was prone to bits falling off too - although that may just have been abuse and neglect by one uncaring owner...:(

4. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

I have the 1850 watt De-Walt jobbey and never had any problems although I don't use it everyday.

I always use freud bits too.

5. tedchippy

tedchippy New Member

6. enjay

enjay New Member

If you can find anyone mad enough to part with it, get a seconhand Elu mof 177e, had mine 15 years, must have done over 1000 joints and its still faultless. Pity Elu no longer exists :(

7. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

i was led to believe that the trend IS a dewalt one with different stickers?

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Trend routers are based on the old ELU which is now owned by Dewalt.

9. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

so is the cmt i think

10. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify, trend brought the first Elu plunge router to the UK in 1955 when Elu was an independant brand. Elu was subsequently bought by Black & Decker who also owned a static woodworking machinery brand called Dewalt. After extending the range of Elu products B&D eventually rebranded all their industrial powertools as Dewalt.

Trend have worked closely with Elu,B&D and now Dewalt ever since to develop routing machines accessories and technology worldwide, hence the product similarities.

HTH

andy@trend

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Cheers, nice to hear up front from a manufacturer. Thanks.

12. imc65

imc65 New Member

Just as a matter of interest how much is a second hand Elu mof 177e router worth these days as i have 2, 1 177e / 1 177 about 10 years old both in good working order,

13. evo nut

evo nut New Member

14. festfool

festfool New Member

buy the 1400 best router ever and it fits on the rail with a small kit, mm marks from router bit center,good dust extraction but i am hooked....

15. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

the 1400 is a good router but bit under powered for doing worktops on a regular basis. And the button that keeps the power on broke on mine due to dust getting in. and festool have a new router out i think

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Got three in the end!

Two Trends, a 1/4" and a 1/2" and the Bosch fixed/plunge model, should keep me set up routing for a considerable while now. :)

17. imc65

imc65 New Member

Message for Evo Nut, Thanks for info, £51 + £ 15pp did not think it would get that far, By the way mine are 240v, Thanks again IMC65.

18. evo nut

evo nut New Member

imc65,

Surprising what good quality tools are stll worth even when they are old.

Be warned though you can put a router on one week and sell for £50 next week it may only reach £25, you never can tell.

Good Luck

evo nut

19. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Ebay: 200210221865

20. evo nut

evo nut New Member