Best stain for picnic table

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jay459, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

whats best to use for outdoor picnic have seen so many products stain, paint dye, varnish, oil etc

Hoping someone can advise me on what to use? I def do not want paint

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

What's wood is it made from?

4. Jay459

Jay459 Member

The guy who sold it to me said it was reclaimed timber so better quality. Not something i know much about, but it does look the part, just needs stained....

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is there any treatment on the wood at the moment, if there is, and depending on what, this may well affect the finish of any new treatment applied

Will also determine the prep needed before any finish is lashed on

Post a few pics please, may well help the decision

P J Thompson likes this.
  6. P J Thompson

+1 for pix

7. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Its completely unfinished, was just built and delivered last week. This is the same picnic table as mine but its been stained. This is the colour Im aiming to find. I like the natural cedar sandolin but think it might turn out too light...will get picture of my own tomorrow..

Attached Files:

• X.jpg
      X.jpg
      File size:
      80.4 KB
      Views:
  8. P J Thompson

That looks like redwood that's had a preservative stain applied to me so yes, Kiab's original suggestion in the colour of your choice should see you right.

9. Jay459

Jay459 Member

10. P J Thompson

I think you'd be better with the product Kiab linked to as it's designed for furniture and is a hardwearing preservative as well as a stain.