Best technique and brush for glossing

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by walsie, Nov 10, 2011.

1. walsie

walsie New Member

Any tips? I've always struggled with glossing, tried low odor and quick drying but it's rubbish, when i use the non drip (toxic) regular gloss i always seem to be left with brush marks, drips and not enough paint in places. I guess it's all down to using the right brush and having the right technique. Recently i've switched from using the cheap (very cheap) brushes you can get to softer more expensive brushes and yes the finish is better (smoother) but i either put too much paint on and after leaving it to dry it sags and runs, or i put too little on and sort of remove the paint i've just put on leaving brush marks. Recently i painted a set of french doors, i rubbed down, primed and then glossed but the gloss took like a good week to dry and the smell lingered for a few days more.

Is it acceptable to apply 2 coats rather than one thick one?

2. pieter2009

pieter2009 New Member

Crown Solo - WHICH? Magazine Winner for Gloss.  I swear by it!  Guaranteed one coat!  (With a undercoat of course).   Use a good quality pure bristle brush.  A Problem alot of people do is go over and over and over brush marks left by the first stroke when you apply the gloss.  Gloss will run into the brush marks.  Use a Gloss roller on flat panels (even skirting boards!) and your brush elsewhere.

3. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

"Guaranteed one coat (with an undercoat of course)".............

Pfffftttttt!

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Whatever you do,,, Don't use "Dulux Once". I think they should change the name to "Dulux Twice or Three times"
    Agree Lucy. Crown Solo, one coat with an undercoat , would of course be 2 coats (at least it was when I went to school.).;)

5. pieter2009

pieter2009 New Member

Im a pro i cant not use an undercoat lol

6. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Brush marks can be alleviated with a decent brush.  Look out for Purdy, worth their weight in gold.  With oil based, try not to overwork the paint, look out for misses by looking at your work as you go from all angles.  You'll find you'll make it worse if you go back to make a correction once the paint has lost that initial wetness.  It's particularly important to glance back at your work if you're painting doors or windows with panels to look out for any small runs, particularly in corners.  With practice you'll know when you've got too much on the brush which will help stop sagging.

Not a huge fan of the Solo myself.  Dulux High Gloss over a decent undercoat is my weapon of choice :)

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Obviously someone who "bounces " the paintwork then. ;)