Best tool for cutting stone paving slabs?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mike P, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Mike P

Mike P New Member

I'm laying a paved area of Trustone (website says it's dolomitic limestone). Some of the slabs need cutting - probably about a 6-8 metre linear run.

Would I be best off hiring one of the petrol powered slab cutters from HSS to get these sized? I've heard of people using angle grinders with a diamond blade, but would that take ages?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

gotto b wifey, with diamond blade in angle grinder ;)

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

If you hire a petrol cutter (by far the best option) you are charged on the amount of the diamond blade you wear away. If you take it from the hire centre and return it without using it you will be charged a minimum rate.

However you can buy diamond blades at a reasonble price for angle grinders and cut away at will. They got some at Screwfix!

The material you are cutting is simple and cuts easily although you wont be long doing the job you must consider that when you are cutting, the dust generated may cause concern with neighbours and they can if they chose, impose a block on you legally with the local council but if you show you are taking reasonable precautions to quell the dust then they will not have a strong case.

Have a hose close by and I use old ballast bags which I aim the cut dust into while my boy keeps it sprayed with water. Dont forget electricity and water makes your toes curl and straightens out your perm.

Never lay the slabs level, always slope them to allow the water to drain off

Charlie

:)

4. kesh

kesh New Member

In addition, you don't need to cut fully through the slabs, just make a deep score with an angle grinder, & snap the slab like a tile.

5. Mike P

Mike P New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Charley, thanks very much for the suggested dust control measures. I like my neighbours and I want them to continue to like me!

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I agree with Charlie about neighbours. I was once cutting a load of paving slabs in half with a stone cutting disc in a circular saw. I was oblivious to everything until the lady next door opened my side gate & walked right up to me to complain. The 1st I knew was when her both our dogs started jumping over eachother next to me while I still had the saw running. I nearly sh-- a brick. I then moved to the bottom of the garden to complete the work. They also complained bitterly when I was spraying preservative on some fence panels before replacing the rotten ones between the houses even though I had a sheet of polythene against the 8' high fence posts to ensure no spray drifted onto their property. It turned out it was the smell they didnt like. One bright side to it. For 9 years we haven't spoke. A bonus for me as we had been at loggerheads on and off for over 20 years before that.