best way around this ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by pep, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pep

pep Member

IMG_0652.JPG
    wife wants downstairs cloakroom tiled half height. She has decided on 200x100 tiles but the section under the sink is 420mm wide.
    What would be the best way to tile it, full tile in centre the slightly bigger than half tile either side ?
    not sure that would even work as the next row up would be staggered so would leave me 17mm (accounting for grout gap) to loose somehow ?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Can you get to the pipework from behind the wall ?

If not I would suggest you cut a panel in the plasterboard for access. You can then fix a separate board on top which can be removed for access. You could then work out the pattern on the new panel with some trim.

A better solution would be this

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...n=googlebase&gclid=CNCQi-KQkNICFcWVGwodZCsATg

At just over a £100 would be close to the cost of tiling, grout etc and give a nice look

3. pep

pep Member

You mean a second piece of board over the one directly under sink but make it wider to give a slightly bigger cut of tile ?
    What would be the best way to make the new tiled piece removable?
    I was just going to install a small access hatch into the section below the sink.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you cut and access hatch I would suggest putting some battens / thin timber around the edge of the opening to stop the plasterboard from moving and popping the tiles off.

If you were to mount a board on the front there are a variety of options from simple screws, heavy duty velcro, key hole shaped hangers, keku fixings - http://www.screwfix.com/p/keku-fixings-10-pack/62708

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select