Best way to cut straight edge with router?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by pablo 2008, Feb 16, 2009.

1. pablo 2008

pablo 2008 New Member

Which is easier:

1) Straight edge clamped on top and run router along it

2) Straight edge underneath and use straight twin-flute bit with bottom roller bearing?

Thanks in advance

Pablo

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

tell us exactly what your cutting and what thickness also what size shank you have on your cutter as all these govern how you use the router

big all

3. pablo 2008

pablo 2008 New Member

Want to trim down a soft wood door approx 32mm thick.

Have half-inch router and various bits but accept I may have to buy a new bit.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It depends on how much you have to trim off. If you use the straight edge on top you can take off a lot in 6mm steps where as if you use a bearing guided cutter you can only take off a little in one pass. Either way will work.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

to be honest you can cut a door with a router but its probably the last tool you would choose because trimming doors tends to be a mixture off curved and strait edges

usual choice for strait cut is a circular saw score along the cut line with a stanly knife

if you use a router you are likly to get breakout as you reach the edges
    what amount are you trying to remove!!!

big all

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I've done quite a lot of veneered doors upto 44mm thick using a 1/2" router and straight length of batten clamped under the door. I use a replacable tip multi-trim bit that has top & bottom bearings and is 19mm dia, wont post a link to it as it will probably be removed but it looks like this.

If you do the top & bottom before the sides you should not get tear-out

Jason

7. the best (probably)

the best (probably) New Member

just viewed your album .top notch stuff.how many hours went in to that fantastic bench,is it a one off,or afew at a time.people will always pay for quality.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Circular saw or planer surely?

9. jasonb

jasonb New Member

About a weeks work, it was a one off commission. Same client got me to make the table after the bench. Also did this bathroom & bedroom for her

J

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Very nice.

My bro' is a furniture maker and does a lot of work for me. I have emailed him a link to these pics as I'm sure he will be impressed...as I am too.

It's much nicer doing work like this rather than B&Q rubbish isn't it.

11. pablo 2008

pablo 2008 New Member

Thanks for all the advice.

Did a few of the doors with the router and a straight edge on top, then planed down by hand to get the curve of the frames right.

Started raining and I haven't got an extractor so did the last hardwood door all by hand which was a joy!

Cheers guys, really good stuff as usual.

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Routers - like women - can't live with them can't live without them, love them and hate them at the same time eh? ;)

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Does your missus vibrate and make lots of mess then Leaky?

14. mailee

mailee New Member

I seem to have seen that bench somewhere before Jason, did you have it in one of the mags? Very nice piece indeed, I like it.