Best way to fill holes

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MrXmasTree, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MrXmasTree

MrXmasTree New Member

I'm going to have some big holes that need filling in kitchen, which is 1930s era ash-type block brick and plaster.

eg
    125mm diameter hole (old extractor) - deep as the brick!
    Old 35mm deep recessed double sockets backboxes
    Just random holes & channels around 30mm deep & 30mm wide and long.
    New channels with 20mm conduit for electric cables (so needs the conduit bedded and covered)

I do not plan to replaster or skim the whole room (though plans may change!) as mainly the walls are good. Was planning on filling, then the screwfix NoNonsense readymix plaster on top, and sanding, fine filler, sanding.

Lots of mess.

But what is good to fill the deep holes, as the fillers I have are for more for old screw holes or minor shallow works? Just the plaster? Or something better/stronger?

Thanks

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If it were me I'd see if bricks/blocks could be replaced or I'd use mortar and fill the larger holes.
    Then put plaster filler over the mortar to bring out to the level of the plaster.

I find easifill the easiest to work with.

KIAB likes this.
  3. MrXmasTree

MrXmasTree New Member

Easifill for the final layer,or to fill the big holes?
    for the sockets n channels etc, no way to put bricks in, but for the 150 hole, possible but as its round and 125mm it'd be lots of little bits? I know it matters not once covered but will be a PITA (100x easier than the external wall mind!!)

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

With the big 125mm holes you need it to be stable secure and probably drillable.

Get a length of 50x12 timber or similar and use a grab adhesive, I have heard Stixall might work, to adhere it to the existing brickwork inside the cavity. Get a piece of 7N block and cut it to around 100mm diameter. Rake out any mortar joints that are in cut out but maybe 10mm and then mortar the block into place. The batten stops it sliding back into the cavity.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rubbish, 125mm, 150mm hole easy to fill,go to builder merchant, Wickes & buy a 100mm Celcon block, you can cut then to circle shape , in fact any shape wilth old saw.:)

Can do same with 100mm concrete block if you have a sharp bolster, chisel, but easier with a grinder to cut to shape.

Deleted member 33931 and Joe95 like this.
  6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That would be my preferred way too:).
    An SDS Brick Remover can also be good for replacing brickwork.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And outside just cut out the bricks segments so you end up with a square opening & replace with whole/half bricks as required.:)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Snap!

Joe95 likes this.
  9. MrXmasTree

MrXmasTree New Member

External brick is hard-to-get-hold-of rough concrete/stone faced bath stone type - and big blocks! :(

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy to render up a concrete celon block to match existing face block, use a light sand.

11. MrXmasTree

MrXmasTree New Member

The previous owns just used normal brown mortar in places and its a mess, so will need to redo other bits (in the summer).
    You mention light sand, and yes that could be an improvement - I didn't know there were different colours...?

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the external brick is hard to source and the holes are in a prominent place, I would remove some bricks from an area of wall that's not so prominent to use in the holes and than replace removed bricks with something as close as possible to existing, a pain I know, but worth it in the long run.

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Back box holes fill with a layer or 2 of bonding plaster and plasterboard offcut, repeat to make up depth as needed

Finish 2/3 mm shy of wall surface with either bonding plaster or PB. Skim over with easifill , sand down when dry and fill again if needed. Depends on what your finished wall surface is gonna be and how perfect a finish you need

Cable chases just use bonding plaster, again 2/3 mm shy and skim with easifill

Joe95, KIAB and CGN like this.
  14. Dave London

Dave London New Member

15. Dave London

Dave London New Member

Still hole related - does anyone have any tips on filling smaller holes or to be more specific, I had a leak from my stopcock and didn't realise it was damaging wooden flooring. When i took the wooden floor up, there was a thin layer of concrete that had all broken up. Before i put the flooring back down i need to level it but a bit worried about getting into a mess with concrete, has anybody done this before or have any advice? I normally get http://constructioncompanylondon.org.uk to do most of my work but this seems like quite a small job and I'm hoping I can do it myself.

Any advice gladly received!

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For large holes inside just build up with layers of mortar (horizontally) and broken brick, in a bricklaying fashion. Then flatten the mortar at the front nearly flush for plaster coat. same sort of thing for backboxes, but fill with mortar, and push broken brick into it, finish same as before.

For the concrete under floor, maybe just pour some bitumen and leave it?

I reckon.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hmm, I smell a foul smelling mixture of piggy here........

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Do you have any tips on somewhere to purchase miscellaneous items and have a trade counter? I usually use http://www.screwfix.com/ for my miscellaneous stuff, but it seems there are other places.

Do you reckon SF's sales team would take me on?:D:D

CGN likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't see anyone on here using them.

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  20. MrXmasTree

MrXmasTree New Member

Thanks
    Plaster & plasterboard in back boxes worked well.
    I'll get some blocks for the old extractor hole and work out how to make good the external side in the warmer months.

Need to get some easifill (sf don't sell it!). Their readymix plaster seems too runny for anything other than 1mm as it just droops - a bit sloppy. But will check that out. Just had to use some normal filler to hold the conduit in the chased channel for now and will get some easifill and sort that. Assume that's easy enough to mix up without a mixer?