Best way to start - self employment

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Silverman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Silverman

Silverman New Member

can someone give me tips on the best way to start out self employed?

I've been working as a fitter for magnet, under someone on their approved installers list for the last 15 years and I'm looking at starting my own business.

It's been made well known that id have a place at magnet fitting myself but I'm wanting to start out gradually before becoming full self employed.

I'm fully aware that with magnet it would be kitchens as and when they were sold so I wouldn't be able to pick and choose that work. It's more general joinery jobs that I'd be looking to start with the odd one.

Basically I'm looking for experience and good practice for what others have done and the mistakes that they've made so I can be wary of them.

Thanks in advance

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think best way is to start of slow build client base up keep your job until you're satisfied you can go it alone took me at least 3yr to build up good customer base

Silverman likes this.
  3. Denisdmcarpenters

Denisdmcarpenters New Member

Silverman likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Be as straightforward as possible with customers, go the extra mile and don't take the pee with what you charge :)

Do as many jobs for family, friends etc, to get more 'safe' experience running your own jobs (you still need to paid though) and take a few 'insignificant' jobs as you never know what will come from them, especially when others have turned them down.

Good luck

Silverman likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not taking the mick but best alter 'Highest Standarts' I think mate! Other than that, top site.