Better drainage

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scouse67, Oct 22, 2016.

1. scouse67

scouse67 New Member

New to the site, handy diy'er.

Got an old property and ground is clay. Previous owners built a patio but water collects with no where to drain after a downpour. Lifted some slabs and found the pipe that takes rain and grey water, 90° bend and cover was buried under the clay and paving slabs. Should I cut out this section and replace with plastic 110mm pipe? Can I tap into this and make a drain for water to run into?

Attached Files:

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes you could but bare in mind a few things:
    If you replace the bend you will need to use a rubber ring joint where the clay meets the plastic and you will need to use a water trap or gully to stop the smell escaping. Make sure all the joints are watertight before filling the hole you've made, as leaking waste pipe can cause serious issues.
    Ive added a channel drain to my parents drive, and I took that into an existing inspection chamber.
    Some of the more experienced and wise members will have better ideas!

3. scouse67

scouse67 New Member

Thanks for replying. Any drain I did fit i was going to put a trap in. Got a few ideas of what i want to do, time to search the internet

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    With drains, there are regulations with referee to foul drains and storm water drains,

Some areas have separate systems and some areas have combined systems

If you run storm water in to foul water pipes, when it rains the local sewage treatment works will get flooded.

Some times the drains are combined to allow the rain to flush the pipes,
    Obviously if you pipe it the wronge way you will get foul water in to the local steams and rivers.

So,,, if it's ok to connect rain to foul drains, like the previous reply, make sure you have traps fitted, and rodding access to all pipe work

Regards
    Peter

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Peter, thanks for that I was hoping someone with more knowledge would post here. You make very important points on regulations,of which i was not aware of.

6. scouse67

scouse67 New Member

Yes the system is a combined one, i am going to fit traps for the water seal to stop the smell. Just need gaskets to attach to the clap pipe.