Birds in the loft

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Steve Bentall, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Steve Bentall

Steve Bentall New Member

We recently purchased a house. We have sparrows nesting in the loft. It is not the main part of the loft, it is with the edge overhang, so on the outside of the exterior wall.
    I am unable to get into this area from inside the loft so would need to address this from the outside.

Any good ideas for sealing this up, as I have read, if you can see the gaps from the inside the birds will know they are there.

I have attached a sketch of what I think the overhang looks like. It is lower than the internal ceiling height.

Do I need to consider loft ventilation?

Thanks
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Small squirt of expanding foam, clear silicon etc

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Had a similar problem lately, but mine was due to a soffet vent falling (or being pecked)out. These were Starlings...noisy little sods, but just had to wait until they all flew the nest before it could be replaced...This time held wit silicone. :(

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Make sure they've finished nesting, before sealing any gaps up. Gotta help our wildlife all we can. ;););)

Gatt and FatHands like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As JJ says, allow them to nest, when they have flown seal up the gaps, or do as I did on my old house and forget to do it, only too be reminded that I'd forgot the following year when the buggers were back. :oops::oops::)

CGN likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it is as in your picture(you don't show any fascia or guttering), between the tiles and the top of the fascia, you can get plastic inserts that fit to the top of the fascia. These are pronged(like a long soft plastic comb) and as the tile sits down on them, the prongs squash outwards, filling the gaps. The prongs sticking outwards stop the birds getting in, but can allow them to get out(and remain homeless).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

PaulBlackpool likes this.