birmingham, carpenters mate/labourer trainee cheap worker

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JonRoe1985, Apr 2, 2014.

1. JonRoe1985

JonRoe1985 New Member

hi im 29 and live in Birmingham I am looking for any work or opportunities as a carpenters mate to get the experience I need and also to get my foot in the door with any carpentry company's, ive spent the last 2 years at south and city college and have so far completed level 1 and also 3 months away from completing my city and guilds level 2 site carpentry diploma which I attend every Monday and tuesday, I have basic tools and ppe however I don't have my own transport but I am prepared to take public transport if available, I am a reliable and keen worker and I am prepared to work for as much as 35 pound a day Wednesday to Friday and weekends if required any work that could be offered would be greatly appreciated

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Jon, I wish I could help you. I live no-where near you.

Could I just make a couple of observations? You undersell yourself. You're on the way to being qualified so describe yourself as such. You're a partially qualified Improver with some experience but you need more site work. You lack transport (can you drive?) but are willing to get about using public transport.

What can you do? Install door sets and hang doors? Install kitchen cabinets? Put a ground floor in, joists, floor boards and skirts. Have you any roofing experience? Put down what you can do. An employer wants to know what your able to do and how he might use you.

I know it's so easy to sit here and criticise but try to be informative. Another carpenter doesn't want someone to pass him the nails and make the tea he wants someone he can rely on. You can also make the tea but describing yourself as a labourer/trainee cheap worker, come on. Be proud and positive.

Bloody good luck.

JonRoe1985 and Phil the Paver like this.
  3. JonRoe1985

JonRoe1985 New Member

Cheers vivaro you make a very good point never thought about those extra details but yes I'm pretty confident with working door sets, skirting, achitrave, joisting and currently working on setting up trusses, i currently dont drive but its on my list of things to do when i gain full time employment cant afford to pick it up with what im earning at the moment thanks for the feedback much appreciated