Black Gunge in WC Cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jitender, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Anyone know what this black stuff is?

The WC was fitted new in 2011 and the internal components do not function due to this black stuff. i.e the fill valve doesn't stop anymore - just keeps filling.

20141218_124859.jpg

2. Are you in a hard water area? Wondering if it was scale rather than the black stuff that was causing the filling valve to stick.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bleach been put in there over time has degraded black plastic/rubber parts ? The degraded black plastic soaks into limescale and stays there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Maybe someone's taken a dump in the cistern instead of using the bowl ? :eek:

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've ordered new parts and have sent the company a picture, when I receive a reply will post.

There was a lot of condensation on the outside of the cistern.

Hopefully the parts will be a direct swap otherwise it'll be a nightmare to change.

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

blimey, looks messy. Post back with the outcome

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its fairly typical of water surrounded components, if you strip any toilet cistern down the rubbers and plastic bits coat your fingers and hands in black gundgy deposits, it goes with the territory,((((( light bulb appears))))) why don't i invent a filter and chemicals, they won't do any good, but i'll be a millionaire in a year,,,,:)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the reply:

"The black mould is often found in cisterns due to the fact of the water being cold and the air being warm. It sounds as though you need to clean the diaphragm within the inlet valve which could have debris on it stopping it from closing off correctly:.