Bleeding Ceiling Joists?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Richio80, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Richio80

Richio80 New Member

Hi - We noticed a stain on our ceiling on our landing, and on further inspection in the loft found out that one of the joists was oozing a dark red / black liquid. There is no leak from the roof or above the loft boards ?
    It also appears that the liquid is only coming from one side.
    It does look abit to dark to be sap?
    The house was built in the early 70's
    Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated as I am panicking a bit!
    Many thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

When was the extra boarding / insulation put in, did you do it yourself?
    Just wondering if the installer spilt something, oil, a bottle of fruit drink or similar.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Richio80

Richio80 New Member

The insulation has been down about three years (by a company called dyson I think) and the boards went in about 2 months after, I did the boards and stilts myself (hence the mildly shoody workmanship!)

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Very strange is it sticky like sap?
    Assuming it's not something from a horror movie:eek: perhaps there was a pocket of wood preserver that your screw broke into.
    Sorry nothing else comes to mind:(

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I reckon your ceiling joists have been made out of the cross Jesus was crucified on. They could be worth a fortune on FleaBay. :p:p:p:p

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I wonder if the timber was tanalised and its bleeding out along the grain, does look a bit strange though.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I reckon it's blood. If you look carefully bottom left in one of the pictures you can see a little man(like Morph) squashed under the joist!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

It's the blood of Christ I tell ya. Tis a miracle for sure...Praise the Lard,,,,,, Repent all ye sinners,, etc, etc, ;););):p

9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them?
    Looks like some wood treatment to me particularly as there are two brown marks on the next timber along the beam. What does it smell like? There looks to be an oily residue on the left of the metal joiner.
    Is there any sign of wet rot in the affected area? Could be resin from the wood but surely would not be enough to run across the plasterboard?
    The crack in the ceiling is where the plaster boards meet (or should do). Looks to me to be caused by weight from above and possibly minor prodding about. Not the beat place to put weight - join in timber join in plasterboard. Some close up photos might help.
    Anyway if there is no wet rot and no sagging in beam just clean it up , fill the crack in the ceiling and paint it and forget about it.

10. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

You sure last builder didnt take a dump up there?

11. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

If it wasn't for the new flooring, I would say it was severe condensation from the roof. The dark staining would be from the felt. The dripping /running water will find its way anywhere. As its new insulation, you will find, now that you have a colder attic space, sunshine or heat on the roof will cause condensation on the underside of the felt. Check the trusses for staining too. Ventilation may be an issue.

12. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Apart from that its probably a haunting.
    [​IMG]

FatHands likes this.