Bleeding rad every few days

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay459, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

i have oil heating and my upstairs bathroom rad is needing bled every few days.

What could be wrong?

It's new build house only built last November and think it's been like that for a while

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Often the problem is corrosion, and gasses build up and percolate to the highest radiator.

Can be other reason, I.e. If open vent system, air being draw in.

If sealed, introduce some inhibitor to the system

Regards
    Peter

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use something like Sentinel X100 inhibitor if sealed.

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi Jay
    If your new house is less than one year old, then get the builders back in, as you have a problem only months after the build, and it will only get worse, unless attended to.
    What is the gas building up in the rad ? Which will help to identify the problem.
    When next bleeding the rad place a lit match into the escaping gas.
    If a lit jet flame occurs, then the escaping gas is hydrogen, which suggest the system is corroding, bad design or needs corrosion inhibitor to be added.
    If the escaping air does not ignite, then the escaping gas is 'air', which suggests that air is being drawn into the system, perhaps a bad joint somewhere.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually hydrogen gas from the iron oxide,& corrision.

Needs a cleaner through system first, clear out any residues,etc from when system was first installed, then a good flushing, refill & a inhibitor.

6. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I'm 13 months into the house...lol

Radiator has been fine though since my last post so hopefully ok now

7. Jay, is it a vented or sealed system - is there a pressure gauge on the boiler or elsewhere?

Either way, if you don't add inhibitor to be sure to be sure, you are a silly person.

8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I don't know what system i have lol...my boiler is outside. I did do some painting in my garage and removed radiators, when i put radiators back on they did not work but builder came out and showed me a small pressure valve to release in the airing closet. Also there is no water tank in attic or overflow pipe like i had in my last house..

Do this help you?

9. Ahem - is there a pressure gauge on your boiler? Does you boiler heat your domestic hot water instantly and on demand (ie - a combi)?

Anyhoo - it doesn't matter - make sure you have inhibitor added.

(If you've been removing rads, then that's good news 'cos it gives a good reason for air being in your system, so good chance it ain't corrosion. But you still need inhib 'cos you've been adding lots of fresh water.)

10. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Good advice DA