Blistering paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by pocster, May 11, 2016.

1. pocster

pocster New Member

Hi all,

Hey I'm new here so go easy on me :)

I have this interior wall (though against the outside) that always causes an issue.
    I've tried scrapping off the blistered paint; pva bonding and yet it still bubbles up.
    There's no obvious leak so I assume condensation is causing the issue.

What's the best 1 stop fix solution!

Photo shows the issue - I've scrapped off the 'loose' paint.

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it on a ground floor, what's on the outside of this wall etc.....?
    PVA would of been not suitable for this application.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Plaster looks damp, black mouldy patches on skirts. Needs sorting before painting again otherwise your wasting your time, effort, money and materials

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Radiator close by, any leaking pipe below floor?

Is it just this corner, that's affected with damp...

5. pocster

pocster New Member

Hey

Ground floor. Nothing on the outside wall really. Bit of cracked render. Basement flat roof - runs away from the house.
    Plaster actually felt dry. No radiator nearby. It's mainly just this wall. Though in an adjoining room (also against the outside) there are some signs of blistering also. I'll get another photo showing outside to the wall.

Thanks all!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused:

I can see a radiator TVR in your photo.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Condition of flat roof, any flashing.

8. Pocster, as suggested above, it does look like a bit more than condensation.

It does appear as though that damp is coming through from the wall, and not landing on top of it. (But we can only tell so much from photos...)

So the most likely cause would be 'rising' or 'external'.

My guess - and it's only a guess - is 'external'. But it could be rising... :rolleyes:

You say the plaster doesn't 'feel' damp - but it certainly bludy looks it (it's dark pink). Unless that's the coat of PVA that's darkened it?

Sooooo, you need to look further as said above; could it be a leaking rad pipe under the boards? Is it rising (again, it'll mean a board lift) or is it from the cracked render outside - water builds up behind the render and makes its way through?

It chust looks a bit too serious and a bit too localised for 'condensation'.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Water behind render is my guess, flat roof is a close second though, & radiator last.

10. Pocst, can you post a photo of the cracked render?

When you press it, does it move at all (and does any water seep out?!)

When you 'tap' it, does it sound loose or hollow?

11. pocster

pocster New Member

Hey all,

Firstly thanks for all the comments.
    For reasons unknown I said no radiator was on that wall but of course there is!!

I would assume the rad isn't leaking as boiler pressure is fine; also laminate floors so difficult too see - but might be able to access the pipework underneath via the basement (it runs from back of house to front).

More photo's attached. I can see the guttering appears to be running against the house; would that likely be the issue?

p.s. The wet plaster in the previous photo is where I just PVA'd it ;)

Cheers in advance!

Attached Files:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, you got a leaking/blocked gutter, green stain on wall.
    Render has had it,also very bad under bottom of window, very green, so very damp.
    Can't see any flashing,need a close up photo, but that area is the cause of your problems.

Also side window, again can't see any visable flashing under window.

Last edited: May 12, 2016