Block Paved Driveway Height Below DPM

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Clemenza, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Clemenza

Clemenza New Member

I have an issue with my driveway and path and would welcome some advice. I live in a semi-detached house, with the drive to the left. The block paved drive slopes from the front to the back in one continuous run, beginning at the boundary and ending at the channel drain in front of my garage. A path links with the drive and continues the pattern to provide access to the front door. Given this arrangement, the path at the front of the house is not 150 mm below the DPM, but closer to 60 mm. However, the path falls left and right at the door area and away from the house across its length.

Whilst I am aware of the 150 mm rule, if this were applied, the drive would have dropped steeply and impacted also on the slope of the small front garden.

Although there is some splash-back from rain onto the front wall of the house, this seems to be minimal. I am wondering if an application of Storm Dry (Masonry Protector) or similar product would possibly prevent the development of damp problems inside the house in the future.

Attached Files:

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am not a builder, just a DIY householder, but our dampcourse at the front of our house is less than 60mm from a concrete path and we haven't had any damp due to rainwater splash but then we have a large radiator on that wall.
    However providing the damp patches dry in fine weather I don't see that you have a problem providing your walls are cavity walls and the cavities are not bridged by debris. That is what the cavity is there for. I really wouldn't do anything with it. The paver seems to have done a very nice job incidentally. If you did decide to paint some damproofer on make sure it dries clear and that you apply it with the bricks perfectly dry or you will trap any damp inside them.

Clemenza likes this.
  3. Clemenza

Clemenza New Member

4. Clemenza

Clemenza New Member

Paul, thanks for your response and complement on the paving. I intend using Stormdry masonry protector just for extra reassurance really. It is a BBA approved product and has good reviews. It is applied in a white cream form, but then dries invisibly over a short period of time. Apparently, the only time it can be seen is during rain showers, when beads of water collect on the masonry surface.

http://www.stormdry.com/