Block paving driveway advice... please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AJN, Jul 10, 2012.

1. AJN

AJN New Member

Hi everyone,

Have been asked to lay a block paved driveway - but not the usual method,

The customer has a very heavy car and has said in the past paving has sunk in certain points and under tyres etc as car is on drive 90% of time,

He mentioned excavating to around 300mm laying 200mm MOT and then 50mm wet concrete and then laying the 50mm deep blocks on the wet cement, with then sand swept into joints etc,

He said this would be stronger and longer lasting - i can see his point - but is this possible?

Also drainage is not a problem as there is grass on both sides and driveway is only 5m x 4m - Very small,

Have heard about it a few times - but never done it myself.

kind comments please :)

thanks for your help...

2. Minimum 200mm of hardcore is correct, but use a vibro roller instead of a whacker plate.
    There's no need to lay the paviors on wet cement, in fact it will be harder to do, plus harder to level.
    Step up to 65mm blocks for heavy use.
    The reason the client has had previous problems is probably poor prep work.
    Do it the tradional way.

3. edmund

edmund Guest

you will not be able to lay pavers on wet cement , one hell of a job , heavy car , talking rubbish , if you are to dig out to that depth I would lay lean mix concrete , even wack if you like . then lay the pavers on screed well compacted as you lay it , this will hold the heaviest of cars   ie; tank

4. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

I wanted my drive to be heavy duty but cheap. I put in well founded full size brick-on-edge edging then filled to 50mm below edging with concrete with a finer top wet screed to get it reasonably flat. Once it had set, I just placed 50mm blocks on top. Sanded the gaps to lock in place, you'd never know it wasn't cemented down or done on sand. The only issue is that as you don't vibrate the blocks down into sand, any that are massively thicker or thinner (just a few rogue ones out of tolerance) need a bit of sand underneath to lift or a bit of minor grinding down. Did almost 5 years ago now and still perfect.

5. AJN

AJN New Member

so the blocks are just sitting on concrete? is there no movement? thanks for all your replys too

6. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

No movement at all. I took a bit of effort to get it reasonably flat, made a 50mm deep tamping board that rested on the edging blocks (or divided up into bays for larger areas with a temporary board edge), scraped off any peaks/ridges the next day with the edge of a steel plastering trowel. The blocks rattle a bit until you add the sand, then it just all settles and locks together like magic.

7. ashleyreye

ashleyreye New Member

Block paving is very essential to our driveways and it is important to select correct block paves. Block paving are available in different colours and sizes. We have to choose a colour which really suits to our house and its sorroundings. Now-a-days, Many brands are available for block paving in the market. I think we should also consider the place to install block pavers.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. Anuja Khattri

Anuja Khattri New Member

Try to create and large sand base base then install the paving blocks

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another ancient post revived.:eek:
    Laid 200mm minimum hardcore well compacted, on a layer of geotextile fabric, this will give you 100% stability,& no drainage issues.

10. First post aswell!

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You gotta love that base .... So good they named it twice ;)

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's all about the base :)

14. prakash

prakash New Member

Base was not properly laid because of that paving was sunk. Placing blocks on wet cement will give you good result.
    http://www.earthpavers.in

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

All the info you need is on this site;

www.pavingexpert.com

It's a brilliant source of info for all kind of groundworks, with excellent diagramms etc.

And no... I've no interest in it except as a previous user of it.

Regards,

Cando